Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CoV

Unable to connect: The gateway is either offline or could not be reached - DM_GWPipeline_Client_Gate

Hi,

I've installed the Power BI Gateway service successfully, configured a gateway, created a datasource and everything looked good.

I changed the service account that runs the Power BI Gateway service from NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService to a domain service account, I refreshed the connections in app.powerbi.com, I get the following error:

Unable to connect: The gateway is either offline or could not be reached.
Activity ID: 67a30327-2fc0-376d-0505-a0ff91a1e5bc
Request ID: 4980dee0-d7ff-4c01-a299-4bfbd961b7d9
Cluster URI: https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code: 400
Error Code: DM_GWPipeline_Client_GatewayUnreachable
Time: Thu May 05 2016 12:08:12 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Version: 13.0.1100.480

I've restarted the service (successful, no errors in event logs), I've ensured the domain service account has the "log on as a service" permissions, I've uninstalled, downloaded the latest GatewayServiceInstaller, installed it, it worked when running under NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService but breaks when I change the service account to a domain level account.

thoughts..?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi
Have you tried to download and install the latest version which was released this pass weekend?
There's the Effective user map feature that may resolve your problem?

Thanks for the reply...

Uninstalled, downloaded the latest, installed and it worked out of the gate under the NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService service but as soon as I change it to a domain account, it errors out with the error message above.

looks as though the user mapping you're referring to is marrying up users cloud identities to user accounts\roles on the SSAS models themselves or subset of data within the model.

I'm looking to change it so the service runs under a domain level account vs a local account.

thoughts..?

UPN Mapping

Starting today, customers using Analysis Services with the Power BI Gateway will be able to set up their own UPN mapping rules. UPN Mapping enables gateway admins to apply custom security rules by mapping users’ cloud identity to specific on-prem roles or identities, via Effective User name and CustomData properties on an AS connection.

This feature will be rolled out in 2 phases: Using Effective User name, which is now available, and using CustomData property, which will be available soon.

To start creating new mapping rules, you need to go to the “Manage Gateways” option from your Power BI dashboard, and then choose the Gateway and Analysis Services server to which you want the rules to be applied.

Click on the Users tab and notice the new “Map user names” option. This will open the UPN mapping rules pane and you can start creating rules, changing their order, and testing the user names that you’d expect to change based on the rules. These rules will be applied to the selected data source only and not the whole Gateway. Please note that you need to be a Gateway Admin to set up or modify these rules.

jbre03
Frequent Visitor

How would I get to the users tab, to access the mapping user name option, when I'm creating a new SSAS dataset and it throws the following error?

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect. Details: "We reached the enterprise gateway, but the gateway can't access the on-premises data source."

Error Code: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError

I am unable to add the dataset because of this error and there is no user tab available until after the dataset has been created 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors