Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

psheridan
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to add Data Source to On-Prem Gateway in Service

upgraded my gateway and I am trying to add data sources in the service but after entering all info, when I click 'add' nothing happens. I have tried this for files, SQL server connections, etc...same for everything, nothing happens.

Gateway is installed on my desktop. Refreshes and connections to all these datasources worked fine before upgrading the gateway.

Tried username with and without my domain, Basic and Windows authentication, same connection as in the pbix files, etc... no clue where to look for help at this point, any ideas??

Thanks

image.png

7 REPLIES 7
hweaves12
Frequent Visitor

I've had this before too, maybe a coincidence but stopping and starting the gateway service seemed to resolve it for me.

It only takes a couple of minutes so its worth a try.

It might also be worthwhile trying to add a data source to say a local excel/csv file that way it proves the gateway is working and its localised to your SQL connection.

Thanks - tried stopping/starting and no luck when adding a file or SQL

Well that narrows down the problem to the gateway then.

Are you still running the gateway on your desktop?

It is recommended to install the gateway on say a server which is not likely to be off line often if at all.

The only other issues I have found are where you have the personal and on premises gateway installed on the same machine, this seems to cause problems.

I would do a belt and braces uninstall of the gateway then reboot and a reinstall if thats possible.

Yes, I have the gateway on a desktop that I keep on. Uninstalled both personal on on-prem and rebooted then reinstalled on-prem. The service recognizes the gateway has been added but still cannot connect in to any datasources (I have tried, files, folders, SQL, etc.). Even checked the firewall/proxy and no issues there...

I have an extended Pro trial, thinking maybe you need to have a paid subscription for this to work?

Is your PC part of a domain ?

It may be your authentication thats the problem.

If your connecting to a PC on the domain then the dataset should use windows authentication Domain/User and password.

Thank you for your persistence in helping! I am completely at a loss...I have tried all combinations of my domain and username - connecting to SQL, files, folders...nothing.

I've only used the on premise gateway and it worked first time for me, so Im reaching the total extent of my knowledge Im afraid!!!

I take it when you go online and check the gateway settings you are set up as the gateway administrator ?

An online search revealed this article perhaps it might help.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-proxy/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors