Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hmeng3
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Open ODC file by Clicking Analyze in Excel

I recently published a dashboard to my colleagues. I am able to download the odc file and open it successfully in Excel. But one of my colleague is not able to open it once the ODC file is downloaded from Power BI web version. He already downloaded the "analyze in excel update". When he opens the odc file, an error message pops us saying "Unable to open or read this connection file. Either the file has been damaged or the file format is not valid".

I helped him change the outside data security settings from Excel, and enabled all the outside sources. I also made sure that he has the permission to view and edit the dashboard. But he is still not able to open the ODC file from his Excel. Does anyone know what is going on?

I appreciate for any suggestions or help if anyone has any sort of ideas.

7 REPLIES 7
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

I assume all your colleagues have the Pro licenses, correct?
maybe this article will be helpful:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-analyze-in-excel

otherwise could it be that your colleague's Excel instalation is corrupted?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

hmeng3
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your quick response. I have looked into the link you provided to me, and I don't think it is any of those problems.

Should he try to reinstall the Microsoft Office? His Excel works normally if only performing regular Excel tasks, and the only problem with his Excel is that it does not open the ODC file.

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

to start you can try sending him ODC file generated on your PC, or maybe some of the ones that other colleagues are using - if you're sure the ODC file he uses is not corrupted, then the logical conlcusion would be something is wrong with his Excel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

hmeng3
Frequent Visitor

Actually he was able to open the odc file that was generated from my computer. I sent the odc file to him, and he was able to open it using his excel. So I don't think it's the problem of his excel right? In this case, what do you think might be the problem?

Thank you very much!

You might try using the "Power BI Publisher" add-in for Excel. It allows you to connect to a Power BI dataset without having to download the ODC file from the PBI service. You end up with the same thing (a live connection to the PBI dataset)...this is just a different way to go about it.

Thank you for your suggestion! Actually I tried that way by using power bi publisher for excel, and it worked for him. I was just trying to figure out why odc file can be successfully opened from my end, but it does not work on his end. Downloading the odc file is easier, but if we cannot solve the problem, we will just go for the alternative way.

Hello @hmeng3  and @jmalone 

Having same problem but I don't think Power BI Publisher exists anymore so not sure how to deal with this. Anybody know what might be wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors