Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Unable to Connect to import or direct query reports

I have no idea what happened. 😞

Opened BI this morning and am getting "Unable to Connect" error with not further details. Pretty much useless.

2016-10-21 15_45_21-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

The gateway is still up and running and data is refreshing online which is great.

I have tried reinstalling BI desktop, signing out, signing in with different users, attempting to create new import and direct query reports all no good.

When opening a direct query file that I have previously created I get
2016-10-21 10_57_16-BD Log - Forest Management Live - Power BI Desktop.png

I can get through to the report but unable to refresh the data or acutally do any modelling.

When trying to refresh a Power BI Direct Query file I get the below error.

2016-10-21 15_09_44-.png

When going into Query Editor on a PowerBI Import file each table shows an error ... but no actual details.

2016-10-21 15_51_15-2016-10-21 15_10_04- - Photo Gallery.png

This all seems really odd. Have made no permission changes to SQL access or AD access.

I can still run power query in a spreadsheed and connect to the data on the SQL server fine. Seems to be a specific PowerBI issue.

Any ideas would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@elliotdixon Check your cached data sources. Once in awhile it seems like these can go bad, or a change somewhere to password or configuration impacted them.

You can edit or remove your cached data sources by going to File - Options and Settings - Data Source Settings - click on "Global Permissions" highlight the data sources that are effected and either update them or delete them and reconnect. This should resolve any connection error as long as all the permissions are there.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RA1-

Haven't managed to connect to Visual Studio Online to get data for Stories/Teams etc for reports. 

So frustrated.

Just get

"We couldn't import data from Visual Studio Marketplace Extension Statistics"

"There was an error when processing the data in the data set"

"Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details."

Message The command has been canceled. Table: Sales.

etc

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@elliotdixon For the impersonation error you're getting try ensuring that the user you're using to connect to the SQL server is mapped as a user on the actual database ie even if your user is a admin make sure that it is also mapped to the db that your report is accessing. 

Hi @ankitpatira cheers for the info but that does not seem to be the issue. I get the Unable to Connect error even before I try and connect to a database. It appears when trying to connect to the server without defining the database.

@elliotdixon Check your cached data sources. Once in awhile it seems like these can go bad, or a change somewhere to password or configuration impacted them.

You can edit or remove your cached data sources by going to File - Options and Settings - Data Source Settings - click on "Global Permissions" highlight the data sources that are effected and either update them or delete them and reconnect. This should resolve any connection error as long as all the permissions are there.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thankyou @Seth_C_Bauer ! That worked.

I am so relieved.

All up and running again. Thanks so much for the help. Such an easy fix.

ED

I'm trying to do something similar and want to update a PowerBI embedded report datasource. For example my data source is Azure Blob Storage and calling API:

https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/collections/RPFabricDEV/workspaces/{0}/datasets/{1}/Default.GetBoundGat...

I get something like below returned:

{
  "@odata.context": "http://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net/v1.0/collections/{0}/workspaces/{1}/$metadata#gatewayDatasources",
  "value": [
    {
      "id": "{2}",
      "gatewayId": "{3}",
      "datasourceType": "Unknown",
      "connectionDetails": "{\"account\":\"{4}\",\"domain\":\"{5}\"}"
    }
  ]
}

Using powerbi-cli I would like to update the account, domain and access key. Moreover I would like to set a schedule. There seems to be no documentation on how to do the above… any pointers appreciated.

Thx.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors