Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to Connect to MySQL Database

Upon the recent update, I have been unable to connect to our MySQL data sources.  I have been receiving the following error message: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'"

Capture.PNG

Has anyone else encountered this error and were you able to find a solution? 

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer that may help me resolve this issue. 

-Grant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

In your scenario, are you able to connect to the MySQL database in MySQL workbench? Please ensure that MySQL workbench is installed in the same machine as Power BI Desktop.

If the connection is successful in MySQL workbench, use same connection string and make sure that you use Database credential in Power BI Desktop to connect to the MySQL database, and you can review this blog about connecting to MySQL in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
eparedez

Using a power bi desktop or service?

Do the following:

- Check the properties connection..
- Check if the MySQL port is open

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using Power BI Desktop.  

Hi @Anonymous,

In your scenario, are you able to connect to the MySQL database in MySQL workbench? Please ensure that MySQL workbench is installed in the same machine as Power BI Desktop.

If the connection is successful in MySQL workbench, use same connection string and make sure that you use Database credential in Power BI Desktop to connect to the MySQL database, and you can review this blog about connecting to MySQL in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

After clearing the previous permission and reconnecting to the database everything is working smoothly. 

Thank you for the solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upon the recent update, I have been unable to connect to our MySQL data sources.  I have been receiving the following error message: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'"

Capture.PNG

Has anyone else encountered this error and were you able to find a solution? 

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer that may help me resolve this issue. 

-Grant

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors