Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hensleyj

Unable to Connect: Excel - Core Properties part: Text data of XSD type 'DateTime' was expected.

A little backgroud before I get into the issue.  I use SAS to create excel files and in turn the excel files load into PowerBI.  I'm trying to automate the process, so I run a batch file to run my sas code, and use the on-premises gateway to have the excel file auto update.  This process works fine except for importing a brand new SAS created excel file.

It seems that the SAS excel file must be missing some behind the scenes code and PowerBI gives me the following error when trying to import:  Unable to Connect: "Core Properties part: Text data of XSD type 'DateTime' was expected. Line 9, position 44."

I know that it has something to do with the excel product directly create from SAS. If I open the excel file, and just manually resave it works.  Problem is that defeats the automation goal I have.  I'll be looking into the SAS part as well, but is there a PowerBI side solution as well?

Thank you in advance for any advice or help y'all could provide!

5 REPLIES 5
Fan_G
Regular Visitor

Exported it into .CSV by SAS. It will solve the problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever figure out how to solve this without manually resaving as you stated? I have the same issue and cannot figure out how to get around it for automation.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Hensleyj,

I suspect that the Excel file created from SAS  contains special schema or property, and  you will need to open the Excel file manually and re-save it. 

Are you able to open query editor of Power BI Desktop and see which step returns the error?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran into the exact issue as the OP today and the solution by @v-yuezhe-msft solved the problem.  So glad that I found this post as we could not figure out what the problem was.  Such a simple solution too!  Thanks!

Hi Shezamala, could you please direct to the post with the solution. can't find it and having the same issue. thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors