Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DaveH

USE `MicrosoftDataMashup9A8CF2764FB34AECA572E2789EB6B2A2` being sent to Impala via Direct Query

Hi,

I have connected to Impala with a Direct Query connection.  When I do, I see the following query in the Impala query log on a regular basis during the use of PowerBi (ie its not just a one off when the connection is created but, over an over, multiple times per minute at times).

USE `MicrosoftDataMashup9A8CF2764FB34AECA572E2789EB6B2A2`

This of course fails with a permissions error.  The database doesn't actually exist in Impala.

This is happening with other users as well.

Why is PowerBI trying to connect to this database that doesn't exist?

Why does it not get the message after the first failure?  Smiley Wink

Can we do something (other than create a DB that probably isn't going to be what PowerBI expects anyway) to prevent this happening?  It does make a mess of the query log and is putting a lot of entries into our Denied Access audit logs that we would rather not have to filter away.

Thanks

Dave.

10 REPLIES 10
Oliveros

I have connected to Impala from PowerBI with Cloudera ODBC Driver for Impala  and I get the same permissions error on a database that doesn't exist 

• USE 'MicrosoftDataMashup9A8CF2764FB34AECA572E2789EB6B2A2'

Oliveros_0-1673659641462.png

Could you help me

pondrace
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

did anyone solve this issue please?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@DaveH,

Could you please post the full error message when using DirectQuery mode? And can you successfully connect to Impala database using Import mode?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry for the late reply.

The error is only in Impala and it is : 

AuthorizationException: User 'sloongs' does not have privileges to access: MicrosoftDataMashup9A8CF2764FB34AECA572E2789EB6B2A2.*

The problem is that PowerBI is sending a USE statement to use a database called MicrosoftDataMashup9A8CF2764FB34AECA572E2789EB6B2A2 which does not exist in Impala. (the user also doesn't have access to a database of that name, but that is really besides the point).

This isn't a user requested database call.  It is being generated by PowerBI.

I didn't fully answer your question.

We can successfully query the Impala database in both Direct Query and Import modes.

The only issue is that PowerBI is sending the USE `MicrosoftDataMashup9A8CF2764FB34AECA572E2789EB6B2A2`  query to Impala when it shouldn't.

@DaveH,

You get the error only in your source, but everything works well in Power BI, right? If so, what is the result when you create the database mentioned in the error message and  give user access to the database?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DaveH

Hi,

I have connected PowerBI to Impala using the built in Impala connectory (Direct Query connection).  Whenever I do this I am seeing an attempt from my user ID to run  USE `MicrosoftDataMashup9A8CF2764FB34AECA572E2789EB6B2A2` in the Impala query logs which then fails as that data base does not exist.

I see other users also generate the same statement.

Any idea what this is trying to do, or why it would be doing it?

If I was to create that database would it be used by anything?

Thanks

David Hanes

Hi David, 

I'm experiencing the same issue, did you manage to resolve this issue on your end?

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi DaveH,

I have the same problem,

it happens with the impala connector and also with Cloudera ODBC Driver for Impala (Version 2.6.13)

how did you solve the problem?

For this issue, did you notice if your data kind is switching from Table and View? if you go into advanced editor, and where you see "Kind=view" or "Kind=Table" modify your M code to remove that, it worked for me. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors