Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

YelloBlack
Frequent Visitor

UNABLE TO CONNECT - ODBC

"UNABLE TO CONNECT"

Encountered an error while trying to connect to ODBC

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Hortonworks][Hardy] (34) Error from server: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information (Internal credentials cache error).
ERROR [HY000] [Hortonworks][Hardy] (34) Error from server: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information (Internal credentials cache error)."

I am able to sucssefully test the connection from Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver DSN Setup

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yay!

I am able to connect now the issue was with version of powerBi .  I downloaded 64bit and works well.

Thanks

YB

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @YelloBlack,

Firstly, ensure that you download the latest version of Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver.

Secondly, in the DSN setup window, enable “Use only SSPI” under Advanced Options, then check if the error still occurs.

Thirdly, follow the steps in this blog to use “User Name” Mechanism to connect to Hive and check if it is successful.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thanks for your response.

I am using version Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver 2.5 Version.

For point two i get an error

FAILED!

[Hortonworks][Hardy] (34) Error from server: SASL(-1): generic failure: Failed to initialize security context: The specified target is unknown or unreachable

For point three i get an error.

[Hortonworks][ThriftExtension] (2) Error occured during authentication.

Can i not connect using "Kerberos" instead of "User Name" Athentication Mechanism  ?

Regards

YB

Hi @YelloBlack,

You can use Kerberos authentication. The first error is related to your Kerberos settings, please follow the instructions in this article to configure Kerberos authentication.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

Successfully connected to Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver DSN Setup (MIT Kerberos) with message

SUCCESS!

Successfully connected to data source!

ODBC Version: 03.80
Driver Version: 2.1.7.1010
Bitness: 32-bit
Locale: en_US

When using the same System DSN to connect on powerBI i get following error -

Unable to connect

We enountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [DSI] The error message HardyHiveError could not be found in the en-US locale. Check that C:\Program Files (x86)\Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver\ErrorMessages\en-US\HiveODBCMessages.xml exists.
ERROR [HY000] [DSI] The error message HardyHiveError could not be found in the en-US locale. Check that C:\Program Files (x86)\Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver\ErrorMessages\en-US\HiveODBCMessages.xml exists."

I am using 32bit powerBi and hortonworks hive driver setup.

Regards,

YB

Hi @YelloBlack,

Please follow the instructions in the blog below to troubleshoot the above error message. The configuration file in your scenario is hortonworks.hiveodbc.ini .

https://archive.sap.com/discussions/message/15565579?tstart=0#15565579

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

I am back to intial error of -

" Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Hortonworks][Hardy] (34) Error from server: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information (Internal credentials cache error).
ERROR [HY000] [Hortonworks][Hardy] (34) Error from server: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information (Internal credentials cache error)."

My machine is 64bit windows 7 Enterprise

I have both 64bit and 32bit Hortonworks Hive ODBC Drivers(latest version)

I have PowerBi 32bit

Should i get 64bit powerbi? could that be the issue?

Thanks for all the support.

Yay!

I am able to connect now the issue was with version of powerBi .  I downloaded 64bit and works well.

Thanks

YB

Hello, 

I am having same issues can you please provided me with some guidance. 

Regards!

Erich Dejesus

Hi @edejes2,

Could you please provide further details to your issue. Like what version of PowerBI are you using, what is the error message or any other details that you might think would be useful.

I will try to help. Thanks!

YB

PrtScr capture.jpg

This is the error message I am getting. 

I am using the latest PBI Desktop 64bit, Hortonworks Hive OBDC 64bit.

Thank you!

Hi @edejes2 

are you able to succesfully test your ODBC connection?

YB

Yes. 

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors