Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NumeroENAP
Helper III
Helper III

Two timezone in the same column from the same source

Hi guys, 

I have some datas that are in YYYY-MM-DD, and some in DD/MM/YYYY, in the same column (the latest gives me an error that I can't transform in text, because the error comes at the first step). The funniest is that the dates that doesn't show an error are all wrong (it even gives me futur dates).

Anyone has any idea of how I can handle this?

Thanks!

Date created
2020-03-02 12:14:00
error

error = 20/01/2020 11:46

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Isn't this what you wanted? The error message text extracted out?

If you also want the details, you can change [Message] to [Detail]. Note that [Detail] is not a string, it is a record.

If your refering to my first post, I think I had a minor bug... just change 

"DD-MM-YYYY"

to 

"DD/MM/YYYY"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NumeroENAP 

I can reproduce your problem, if you have "changed type" step, please delete it and open advanced editor,

Capture6.JPG

Capture5.JPG

You could modify your queries as below:

Capture7.JPG

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\maggiel\Desktop\case\3\3.13\3.13.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet2_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet2",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet2_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Promoted Headers", "date", "date - Copy"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column", "date - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"date - Copy.1", "date - Copy.2"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"date - Copy.1", "date cpoy1"}, {"date - Copy.2", "time copy1"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "BeforeDelimiter", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([date cpoy1], "/")),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "BetweenDelimiters", each Text.BetweenDelimiters([date cpoy1], "/", "/")),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "AfterDelimiter", each Text.AfterDelimiter([date cpoy1], "/", {0, RelativePosition.FromEnd})),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "m_d1", each Text.Combine({[AfterDelimiter], [BetweenDelimiters], [BeforeDelimiter]}, "/")),
    #"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom3", "m_d2", each Text.Replace([date cpoy1],"-","/")),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom4", "Custom", each if Text.Contains([date cpoy1], "-") then [m_d2] else if Text.Contains([date cpoy1], "/") then [m_d1] else null),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"BeforeDelimiter", "BetweenDelimiters", "AfterDelimiter", "m_d1", "m_d2", "date cpoy1"}),
    #"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "new date time", each Text.Combine({[Custom], [time copy1]}, " "), type text),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column",{"time copy1", "Custom"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns1",{{"new date time", type datetime}})

in
    #"Changed Type"

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-juanli-msft ,

That is the thing : when you extract information from SharePoint, the very first step becomes "Source". Otherwise, I would have just tried to transform it manually. 

artemus
Employee
Employee

It defaults to try MM/DD/YYYY which is the en-us standard.

You will need to transform them manually to get around this.

You mean, to change the date format of every forms in Sharepoint to fr-CA (or en-US)?

Well you might be able to, or you just do it directly in Power Bi like:

= Table.TransformColumns(PreviousStep, {"DateColumn", each Date.FromText(_, if Text.Contains(_, "-") then "YYYY-MM-DD" else "DD-MM-YYYY")})

This will need modification based on your:

DateColumn

PreviousStep 

Well, now there's only errors.

Is there a way to extract the text of an "error" cell. Because the very first step (source) is filled with errors.

Thank you

You can, but is that what you want to do?

You can add a new column with:

let val = try [DateColumn]

in if val[HasError] then val[Error][Message] else val[Value]

Hi @artemus ,

It only gives me "Sorry... We couldn't transform your date as a DateTime value".

Isn't this what you wanted? The error message text extracted out?

If you also want the details, you can change [Message] to [Detail]. Note that [Detail] is not a string, it is a record.

If your refering to my first post, I think I had a minor bug... just change 

"DD-MM-YYYY"

to 

"DD/MM/YYYY"

"If you also want the details, you can change [Message] to [Detail]. Note that [Detail] is not a string, it is a record."

It is perfect @artemus  ! It's working!

The only thing is that the dates that weren't "errors" are still random. But, at this point, I suspect that the problem is SharePoint, and not necessarily the timezone in PowerQuery.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors