Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turn timeseries records into discrete events

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can assist. I have the time series data (recorded on a per second basis) in a Dataflow. and I would like to condense it  into discrete start up events using Power Query as this can then be used for ML purposes.

An actual event (or a job) will be the duration between X and Z. The start up event (i.e. the belt to get to running speed) is X to Y. The start up event does not need to consider the duration between Y and Z. Unfortunately, there aren't any status values as this would make life easier 🙂

The dataset is for a conveyor belt sensor readings. Each event needs to contain:

• Capture the start up time of a conveyor belt (column B)
  • Capture the time (MIN of column A for each event) as start time
  • Capture the time (Where column B stays static for 3 observations, capture the time at the 1st of the 3+ observations). This is the end time of that event
  • Calculate the Average Belt Driver Current (column C)
  • Calculate the Average Weight on the Belt (column D)
  • Calculate the Average Belt Driver Temperature
  • Calculate if the start up event was good or bad based on column B and D. In this scenario, If the start up event, is 72 and the average of the belt weight is 0, then that's a good start up. If the start up event is greater (90+) and the average of the belt weight is 0, then that's a bad start up. There are other scenarios as well. Again these are 2 examples. So in practice, I'll have to consider those.

Image highlights descriptions:

• 2 events - 1 red box and the other, blue. The first startup event is from row 3 to 75 (highlighted in yellow).  As you can see the entire event goes beyond row 75. From a start up event perspective, I have to end at value 72 (column B illustrated by the green dotted line as that value doesn't change until the end of the event. Start up events can vary up to 120 seconds. These are just 2 examples). 
  • The second startup event is from row 5752 to 5829
  • The arrows indicate the final result that I've after.
  • The final column highlights if the start up event is good or bad.

I've attached links to a pbix and excel file containing the data.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

CreateEventsFromTimeSeries.jpg

Pbix file

Excel file

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

very pleased to hear 🙂

Not sure that I got your request right. I'd recommend to start a new thread and give some samples of the expected results (like you did in your original post).

Just take one table and then convert the solution into a function.

Here is a function for the Percentile in M btw: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a57bfbea-52d1-4231-b2de-fa993d9bb4c9/can-the-quotpercentilequot-be-calculated-in-power-query?forum=powerquery 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That will be an interesting one. @ImkeF may be able to help.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Greg_Deckler . I appreciate your reply and tagging @ImkeF  🙂

Hi @Anonymous 

indeed, this is a challenging task. I've used a special grouping command to split up the relevant events, that I've described here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/01/21/table-group-exploring-the-5th-element-in-power-bi-and-power-query/

Table.Group(
                #"Removed Bottom Rows", 
                {"LastAccelTimeSec", "Previous.LastAccelTimeSec"}, 
                {   {"MinLocalTimeStamp", each  List.Min([localtimestamp]), type datetime}, 
                    {"Max", each  List.Max([LastAccelTimeSec]), type number}, 
                    {"All", each _}}, 
                (x,y) => Number.From(x[LastAccelTimeSec] = y[LastAccelTimeSec] and  y[LastAccelTimeSec] < y[#"Previous.LastAccelTimeSec"])
        )

Please have in mind, that the first row of your table will be skipped. That row is currently mandatory for the solution, as it works with a "previous row". If your original data doesn't have that row to skip, you'd have to add that to your solution (the values in there don't matter - you just have to have a first row that will be skipped).

Please find the file with the full solution enclosed.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG @ImkeF  - That is so incredibly cool. I was pulling my hair out. Thank you so very much. Make me want to jump in head first into learning Power Query. 

I do have one final question, if I may, how would you calculate the rate of change for the last 5 data points and percentiles? Would that be in the same area you calculate the averages? From what I can see there isn't a percentile function.

PS: Thanks again. I can't tell you how happy you've made me 🙂

CreateEventsFromTimeSeries.jpg

Hi @Anonymous 

very pleased to hear 🙂

Not sure that I got your request right. I'd recommend to start a new thread and give some samples of the expected results (like you did in your original post).

Just take one table and then convert the solution into a function.

Here is a function for the Percentile in M btw: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a57bfbea-52d1-4231-b2de-fa993d9bb4c9/can-the-quotpercentilequot-be-calculated-in-power-query?forum=powerquery 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I will. Is it ok to tag you in it?

Yes, of course.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors