Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GuillaumeB
Helper I
Helper I

Turn api call into a query function

I have a call to a the Zoom API I need to turn into a query function to use another table's column as one of the parameters in the URL.

let

apiUrl = "https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/{Userid}/meetings",

token="Token1.token2",

options = [Headers=[Authorization="Bearer " & token ]],

result = Json.Document(Web.Contents(apiUrl , options)),
    meetings = result[meetings],
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(meetings, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"uuid", "id", "host_id", "topic", "type", "start_time", "duration", "timezone", "agenda", "created_at", "join_url"}, {"Column1.uuid", "Column1.id", "Column1.host_id", "Column1.topic", "Column1.type", "Column1.start_time", "Column1.duration", "Column1.timezone", "Column1.agenda", "Column1.created_at", "Column1.join_url"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

In the M code above, the {userID} part of the URL needs to be every iteration of a colum in another table. I've done this before using :

(UserID as text) =>
Let
Webcontent(URL)
[RelativePath=]

But in those cases I didn't have an authentication token and the parameter was simply the end of the url, not a middle part. 

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @GuillaumeB 

To use in PBI Service you have to provide a 'static' URL and add the rest of the path using RelativePath.

Change the function to this.

(UserID) => 

let
    apiUrl = "https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/",

token="Token1.token2",

options = [ Headers = [Authorization="Bearer " & token ] , RelativePath = Text.From(UserID) & "/meetings" ],

#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(meetings, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"uuid", "id", "host_id", "topic", "type", "start_time", "duration", "timezone", "agenda", "created_at", "join_url"}, {"Column1.uuid", "Column1.id", "Column1.host_id", "Column1.topic", "Column1.type", "Column1.start_time", "Column1.duration", "Column1.timezone", "Column1.agenda", "Column1.created_at", "Column1.join_url"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @GuillaumeB 

To use in PBI Service you have to provide a 'static' URL and add the rest of the path using RelativePath.

Change the function to this.

(UserID) => 

let
    apiUrl = "https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/",

token="Token1.token2",

options = [ Headers = [Authorization="Bearer " & token ] , RelativePath = Text.From(UserID) & "/meetings" ],

in
    #"Expanded Column1"

Regards

Phil

Absolute lifesaver, thank you for the help! @PhilipTreacy 

@GuillaumeB 

No worries 🙂

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @GuillaumeB 

Download sample PBIX file with this code

You can turn the API call into a function by putting this code into it's own query, I called the query fxZoomAPI 

(UserID) => 

let

apiUrl = "https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/" & Text.From(UserID) & "/meetings",

token="Token1.token2",

options = [Headers=[Authorization="Bearer " & token ]],

in
    #"Expanded Column1"

If you wish you could take the steps from meetings onward and leave them in your main query so that you do all of that processing after all the API calls are made.

I created some dummy data to represent UserID's

usrid.png

In your main query you'd call the function by adding a Custom Column like this to get API data for each of these UserID's

fxzoom.png

Post back if you get stuck.  @ mention me or I'llmiss your reply.  Type @ then select my name

Regards

Phil

@PhilipTreacy Awesome the M code worked!
However when I try to refresh the data from the service it gives me an error about how Dynamic Queries can't be refreshed from the service.

Apologies because it's been a few years since I last worked with restAPI within PBI but I remember there being a workaround for this, are you familiar with it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors