Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get data from a excel file hosted an an external sharepoint

Hi,

I guess my issue is similar to the one in this topic, but not sure... In essence, one of our supplier to hosting an excel file on their sharepoint site (www.insightportal.suppliername.com/sites/....).

I do have access to this sharepoint and to the file using my company email and a password that the supplier has provided me (different from my O365 one), however I cannot manage to access the file through Get Data / Sharepoint folder.

I've tried to solve this using similar cases I've seen, but ultimately the main question is: is it possible?

Thx for the clarification,

Ben

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on my test, external user is not able to connect to SharePoint Folder in Power BI Desktop as you describe.

A workaround I can think of is to create an account in supplier's tenant for you and then you use this account to connect to the SharePoint Folder.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft,

thx for your input, however I am afraid that it still won't work: when I try to use the credentials I use to access the external SharePoint, I still get error messages... My only solution is to do manual copies of the file onto my company SharePoint (or to try to use Flow for this, but I end with the same issue, Flow won't work on an external SharePoint... 😞

@Anonymous,

Do you use the account which is in your supplier's tenant to sign in SharePoint?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors