Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mark_Ball
Frequent Visitor

Trying to connect to SharePoint Folder - Access Forbidden

I've watched YouTube and read lot's of posts and followed them exactly, but i am not having any luck connecting to my SharePoint Folder.

I enter the root url: https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename

• I do not get the sign in pop up, it just says access is forbidden
  • The SharePoint site displays "Private Group" I'm not sure if that is causing the issue
  • I verified in Teams, that i am the Owner
  • I use the Power BI desktop App for development
  • I've talked to our SharePoint Admin about my settings and access, and he thinks everything is set right

Because this SharePoint site is labelled "Private Group" Is there maybe a setting in there that i need to turn on to allow PBI to connect?

Any help is appreciated,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, this is strange if you are admin of that site. The URL seems to be ok. I think that if power bi is not asking for a login you might have an old permisson to sharepoint site connector saved. Try removing the sharepoint site global permission. Go to:

datasourcesettingsdatasourcesettings

Search under Global Permission the sharepoint path with your company name and "Clear Permissions".

Then try again and it should ask for login. That way you can add your actual account.

Hope this works

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, this is strange if you are admin of that site. The URL seems to be ok. I think that if power bi is not asking for a login you might have an old permisson to sharepoint site connector saved. Try removing the sharepoint site global permission. Go to:

datasourcesettingsdatasourcesettings

Search under Global Permission the sharepoint path with your company name and "Clear Permissions".

Then try again and it should ask for login. That way you can add your actual account.

Hope this works

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

That worked! I had about 30 references to SharePoint files in the Global Permissions, I cleared them all out and was able to connect. Thank you so much for your help!! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors