Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Trying to Add Data Source to Gateway for Excel "Invalid connection credentials"

I've used the "web" data source in PBI Desktop to access an excel spreadsheet that is stored in an Office365 group. This works.

Now, I need to set up the datasource inside the Enterprise Data Gateway. I'm putting the credentials in as a windows account but getting "Invalid Credential" errors back.

Has anyone managed to successfully accomplish this? What format is the gateway expecting the username in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@dramus,

It doesn’t require gateway in your scenario if your dataset only contains the Excel data source.

After you publish the Power BI Desktop file to Service, you will find “Connect Directly” in the settings for the dataset, just enter credential for your data source and you will be able to set schedule refresh for the dataset.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@dramus,

It doesn’t require gateway in your scenario if your dataset only contains the Excel data source.

After you publish the Power BI Desktop file to Service, you will find “Connect Directly” in the settings for the dataset, just enter credential for your data source and you will be able to set schedule refresh for the dataset.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I also have the same issue. I tried to execute your solution but I can't see  "connect directly" as an option under my gateway connection. Please guide.

Hi, I have a similar problem where I have connected excel using web data source and getting Invalid credentials error but I do no see the OAuth Option in the dropdown. I can only see 3 options i.e.  Anonymous, Windows and Basic and non of them are able to authenticate me even though I am able to connect properly with Power bI desktop.

I have the same issue.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Looks like this is due to no oAuth2 credentials through the Enterprise Gateway. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors