Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Transposing issue

Hi

I have data in multiple sheets in multiple files and the data is arranged thus:

Sheets 1-50

col1            col2          

header1     1

header2     2

header3     3

...but when I power query it, the data ends up alongside each other rather than stacking...

I want it to transpose to look like:

header1     header2     header3

1                2                3

Nice and easy... but when I combine the tabs and transpose, the data ends up alongside each other:

header1     header2     header3     header1     header2     header3     header1     header2     header3

1                2                3                1                2                3                 1                2                3

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a custom function like this:

let
    Source = (tab as table, x) => Table.SelectRows(tab, each [col1] = x)[col2]{0}
in
    Source

Invoke this function in Table1 for Table2, Table3..., then you can transpose the table and use the first row as header

re.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a custom function like this:

let
    Source = (tab as table, x) => Table.SelectRows(tab, each [col1] = x)[col2]{0}
in
    Source

Invoke this function in Table1 for Table2, Table3..., then you can transpose the table and use the first row as header

re.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You should add a column of null values, then place it at the first colun position, and then tranpose:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Name of Table or Last Step Name", "Nulls", each null)

Now your transpose will work, and you can then Promote Headers.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors