Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

saipawar
Helper IV
Helper IV

Transpose multiple header rows into columns

peersnap.PNG

Is there any way to break out the top 3 rows of headers into columns such that they are correctly mapped to each other?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saipawar ,

The image in your post seems to be visual(Matrix) instead of data structure, if you want to transform your data structure, could you please inform me your current data structure in table and your expected output? Then I will test this in my environment.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @saipawar ,

I created a function for such a requirement here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/06/19/unpivot-by-number-of-columns-and-rows-in-powerbi-and-power...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@saipawar  I agree with  @mhossain suggestion to clean the data in the spreadsheet if possible. 

But I also agree that this is not possible in all cases in the real world as I have encountered this myself many times. 

The link below has the solution. Any questions let me know 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YJ612X31VbJ0qL-ADogxFr7aekiYOFnQ/view?usp=sharing 

Thanks

Nishant

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ImkeF 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @saipawar 

So basically you want to achieve below structure

RatingCompanyProduct Category

Product

Definately doable in powerquery but I would suggest why don't you clean excel little bit so that you don't have to do so much calculation/cleaning in the powerquery. Initial cleaning in excel I think will be quick then you can go to powequery and structure/unpivot etc. Just a suggestion. Or you have something else in mind, share some more details.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors