Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

baptiste23
Frequent Visitor

Transforming Multiple Header file

Dear Power Bi Community

I am currently trying to connect Power BI to an excel file which has multiple columns header and I can't manage to transform the file properly to be able to get the best out of it.

The data set is available here: We transfer link and please find a preview below:Annotation 2020-06-15 092055.png

Do any of you know if it's possible to transform the file thanks to Power Query ?

My aim is to have the columns: Club, Country, Position, Country ..  as headers so I can make my analysis using those axes but I need to keep the rows above as they are also useful.

Thanks in advance for the help provided

Best

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @baptiste23 ,

The code:

Table.Transpose(Table.CombineColumns(Table.Transpose(Table.FirstN(#"Filtered Rows", 2)),{"Column1", "Column2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" - ", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged")),

Merges the 2 first rows in one, so you can handle the headers.

the code "Table.Skip(#"Filtered Rows", 2)" skips the first 2 rows (they are handled on the code above).

Table.Combine just appends them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @baptiste23 ,

I'm not sure if it's that what you want...

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("D:\Downloads\data test.xlsx"), null, true),
#"Data sheet_Sheet" = Source{[Item="Data sheet",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Data sheet_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Promoted Headers"),
#"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Transposed Table",{"Column2"}),
#"Transposed Table1" = Table.Transpose(#"Filled Down"),
#"Removed Top Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Transposed Table1",1),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Top Rows", each not Text.StartsWith([Column1], "Niveau")),
TableResult = Table.Combine(
{
Table.Transpose(Table.CombineColumns(Table.Transpose(Table.FirstN(#"Filtered Rows", 2)),{"Column1", "Column2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" - ", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged")),
Table.Skip(#"Filtered Rows", 2)
}
),
#"Promoted Headers1" = Table.PromoteHeaders(TableResult, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers1",{{"Identity - CLUB", type text}, {"Identity - Country", type text}, {"Identity - Type Of Club", type text}, {"Identity - Position", type text}, {"Identity - Number of Fans", type any}, {"Player & Staff developpement - TOTAL", type number}, {"Player & Staff developpement - First Team", Int64.Type}, {"Player & Staff developpement - Staff", type number}, {"Player & Staff developpement - U Teams", type number}, {"Player & Staff developpement - Talent evaluator", type number}, {"Technical facilities - TOTAL", type number}, {"Technical facilities - Training", type number}, {"Technical facilities - Stadium", Int64.Type}, {"Financial Assets - TOTAL", type number}, {"Financial Assets - Sales", type number}, {"Financial Assets - Costs", type any}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Or, if you just want to skip the first rows..just use the remove rows function.

Hi @camargos88 

Thank you very much for the answer. It seems really interesting and I think I will be able to get hat I needed.

There is just one step that I don't understand:

TableResult = Table.Combine(
{
Table.Skip(#"Filtered Rows", 2)
}
)

Could you please give me more detail the transformation realised by this step so I can do it by myself?

Thank you for the help provided

Best

B

Hi @baptiste23 ,

The code:

Merges the 2 first rows in one, so you can handle the headers.

the code "Table.Skip(#"Filtered Rows", 2)" skips the first 2 rows (they are handled on the code above).

Table.Combine just appends them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors