Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Transfer the column value of the "MotherID" to the "DaughterIDs"

Hi, so i have a table within Power Query with the below structure:

I have some IDs, represanting a case, some subcases and used a concatenation to get a unique ID for each subcase. In the right column I have the status of each subcase. 

IDSubcaseID_SubcaseStatus
1230123_0A
1231123_1B
1232123_3C
4560456_0B
4561456_1C
4562456_2A

The subcase 0 is the maincase and I would like to add another column called "MainStatus". Each row of the same ID should get the Status from the subcase 0. So my desired output of the transformation should look like this:

IDSubcaseID_SubcaseStatusMainStatus
1230123_0AA
1231123_1BA
1232123_3CA
4560456_0BB
4561456_1CB
4562456_2AB

I think this should be easy but I struggle to find the obsious solution..

Best Regards,

Frederik

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Probably a lot of ways to do this. 

You can duplicate the table, filter out all rows except subcase = 0.  Then merge that with the original table on ID (inner join) OR

a code solution like 

Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Status0", each List.First(
            Table.SelectRows(
                #"Changed Type",
                (r) =>
                    r[ID] = [ID]
                    and
                    r[Subcase] = 0
            )[Status],
            null
        ))

View solution in original post

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Besides merge tables and custom functions, you can also use group by feature and create a custom column to expand them:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRMgBiICseRDsqxerAxA2h4iDaCUncCCoOYjuDxU1MzaDmAFlgc5yQxA2h4oZo6o2g4kYQe2MB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Subcase = _t, ID_Subcase = _t, Status = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Subcase", Int64.Type}, {"ID_Subcase", type text}, {"Status", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"ID"}, {{"Data", each _, type table [ID=nullable number, Subcase=nullable number, ID_Subcase=nullable text, Status=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "MainStatus", each List.First([Data][Status])),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Data", {"Subcase", "ID_Subcase", "Status"}, {"Data.Subcase", "Data.ID_Subcase", "Data.Status"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Data",{{"Data.Subcase", "Subcase"}, {"Data.ID_Subcase", "ID_Subcase"}, {"Data.Status", "Status"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Subcase", Int64.Type}, {"ID_Subcase", type text}, {"Status", type text}, {"MainStatus", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

first row value.png

Attached a sample file in the below, hopes it could help.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Basically the custom function mentioned by @ HotChilli should work. You can refer my previous sample file with tow workarounds that includes the custom function and group by query.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Besides merge tables and custom functions, you can also use group by feature and create a custom column to expand them:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRMgBiICseRDsqxerAxA2h4iDaCUncCCoOYjuDxU1MzaDmAFlgc5yQxA2h4oZo6o2g4kYQe2MB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Subcase = _t, ID_Subcase = _t, Status = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Subcase", Int64.Type}, {"ID_Subcase", type text}, {"Status", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"ID"}, {{"Data", each _, type table [ID=nullable number, Subcase=nullable number, ID_Subcase=nullable text, Status=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "MainStatus", each List.First([Data][Status])),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Data", {"Subcase", "ID_Subcase", "Status"}, {"Data.Subcase", "Data.ID_Subcase", "Data.Status"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Data",{{"Data.Subcase", "Subcase"}, {"Data.ID_Subcase", "ID_Subcase"}, {"Data.Status", "Status"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Subcase", Int64.Type}, {"ID_Subcase", type text}, {"Status", type text}, {"MainStatus", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

first row value.png

Attached a sample file in the below, hopes it could help.

Best Regards,

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Probably a lot of ways to do this. 

You can duplicate the table, filter out all rows except subcase = 0.  Then merge that with the original table on ID (inner join) OR

a code solution like 

Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Status0", each List.First(
            Table.SelectRows(
                #"Changed Type",
                (r) =>
                    r[ID] = [ID]
                    and
                    r[Subcase] = 0
            )[Status],
            null
        ))
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to implement your code to my query and reveiced an error:

"Expression.Error: A cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation.

Table.AddColumn(#"myTable",
"MainCase_Status",
 each List.First(
     Table.SelectRows(
         #"myTable",
                (r) =>
                    r[ID] = [ID]
                    and
                    r[Subcase] = 0
            )[Status],
            null
        ))

Tried to reduce the conditions to just look at one condition, but always the same error.

Any ideas whats I did wrong?

Best regards,

Frederik

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors