Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nick001
Frequent Visitor

Transfer a column of a table into a list

Hi, everyone,

I am looking for a solution to the following problem: How can I convert a column of a table into a list without destroying the base table? The base table should continue to exist in the data model. Then i would like to create another new table from the list 

Many Thanks Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Let's say your base table is named "BaseTable". You can add a blank query, and then in the formula bar, type:

= BaseTable[ColumnName]

That gives you the list. You can wrap it in Table.Distinct to get unique values. If you want it as a one column table, it's:

BaseTable[[ColumnName]]

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nick001
Frequent Visitor

wow, thank you very much 🙂 I've tried so much and then it's so easy - thank you

Nick

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Let's say your base table is named "BaseTable". You can add a blank query, and then in the formula bar, type:

= BaseTable[ColumnName]

That gives you the list. You can wrap it in Table.Distinct to get unique values. If you want it as a one column table, it's:

BaseTable[[ColumnName]]

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors