Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Timeout when querying Analysis Services

In Power BI Desktop, when trying to run or refresh an MDX query against a local SSAS server, Power BI starts trying to kill the query after 60 seconds.  I know the query works fine from SQL Server Management Studio and typically takes around 90 seconds which I am ok with for this particular query.

Is there anywhere I can set or override timeout when using the AnalysisServices.Database function?

Cheers,

Phil

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Phil_Seamark

To add timeout property in connection string and use it in Power Query, you may use OleDb.Query function. Please refer to blog: Running Your Own MDX And DAX Queries In Power BI Desktop.

Another option is set the SSAS server property ExternalCommandTimeout and ExternalConnectionTimeout to 0.

Regards,

Simon Hou

Cheer Simon,

I will have a look into this.  The other option I guess is ODBC which may also have some timeout properties I can set. 

It's definitely coming from the client as other clients can run these (and other longer queries) without being killed.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors