Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tuta23
Frequent Visitor

Time Duration is the End Goal - How Best to Get There

All -- I am trying to set up a PBI report to show the timings of our nightly processes.  There are four processes that we have in our log files with start and end times (assuming it completes, of course).

What I want to get to is to pull how long each process took to complete (if it did), how long did the entire process take to run.  And then show the trends over the last 30 days, etc, etc.

My question is how do I best layout this data to make things easier on myself to calculate durations in PBI? 

The TIMEs below are formatted "18:54:56.01", "1:46:19.99 ", etc. --- so we may have times that are technically into the next day that the process actually began. 

Thanks for your help!

Nightly ProcessTIMEMessage
8/28/2020Time 1Process 1 Start
8/28/2020Time 2Process 2 Start
8/28/2020Time 3Process 2 Finish
8/28/2020Time 4Process 3 Start
8/28/2020Time 5Process 3 Finish
8/28/2020Time 6Process 4 Start
8/28/2020Time 7Process 4 Finish
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@tuta23 

I prepared some sample data based on your explanation and came up with the following.

You can download the file: HERE

1. Each Process Duration by Date

Fowmy_0-1599892919407.png

2. Entire Process Duration by Date:

Fowmy_1-1599892956245.png

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

to just answer you question:

the best layout is the following:

image.png

that you can get by pivoting the table on the  Start-Finish column after splitting your message column :

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WstA3AiIDIwMlHaWQzNxUBUMgI6AoPzm1uFjBUCG4JLGoRClWB4tCIySFRvgUGqModMvMyyzOwK7SBEmlMT4jTVEU4jPSDEmlCT4jzVEUwoyMBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Nightly Process" = _t, TIME = _t, Message = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Nightly Process", type text}, {"TIME", type text}, {"Message", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Message", Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths(10), {"Message.1", "Message.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Position",{{"Message.1", type text}, {"Message.2", type text}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type1", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type1"[Message.2]), "Message.2", "TIME")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

I marked Fowby as solution but there is good stuff to be learned in each reply.

Thanks to all!

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@tuta23 

I prepared some sample data based on your explanation and came up with the following.

You can download the file: HERE

1. Each Process Duration by Date

Fowmy_0-1599892919407.png

2. Entire Process Duration by Date:

Fowmy_1-1599892956245.png

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@tuta23 See my article on Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) which uses EARLIER: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Mean-Time-Between-Failure-MTBF-and-Power-BI/ba-p/3395....
The basic pattern is:
Column = 
  VAR __Current = [Value]
  VAR __PreviousDate = MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Date] < EARLIER('Table'[Date])),[Date])
  VAR __Previous = MAXX(FILTER('Table',[Date]=__PreviousDate),[Value])
RETURN
  __Current - __Previous

Now, since it sounds like you are dealing with duration at some point, see Chelsie Eiden's Duration as you may need it. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Chelsie-Eiden-s-Duration/m-p/793639#M389

@ me in reply if you have any issues.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg.  I think I need a little more help to get to that point. 

I think my data needs to get into a better format in order to calculate durations.

Say, something like this:

Nightly ProcessProcess 1 StartProcess 2 StartProcess 2 FinishProcess 3 StartProcess 3 FinishProcess 4 StartProcess 4 Finish
8/28/2020DateTime 1DateTime 2DateTime 3DateTime 4DateTime 5DateTime 6DateTime 7
8/29/2020DateTime 1DateTime 2DateTime 3DateTime 4DateTime 5DateTime 6DateTime 7

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors