Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Tibco TDV Connector: Error Expression in partition 'n/a' in table 'n/a' references unknown variable.

So I've been racking my brain on this one. I'm currently using the Tibco Data Virtualization Connector as a custom connector. The reason I have not moved to the built in connector that is in beta is because the data source name is listed as TibcoTdv.Datasource and the gateway we have setup is listed as TIBCO.TDV.Datasource. By using the built-in connector the gateway returns an error. The actual issue I'm having is when I use the custom connector on all but one PBIX file I get the error:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Expression in partition 'n/a' in table 'n/a' references unknown variable or function 'TIBCO.TDV.DataSource'.

ApplyQueryChanges.png

To make things even more confusing. This is happening for all PBIX files except for one. There is one file that actually works. I copied over the session diagnostics for the good file and a bad one and the only difference I found was Is

Report V3 Models Enabled for the ones that are not working and the one that is working is False.  Also I connected via SQL Server Management Studio and found that the Compatiliblity Level for the bad one is 1520 and the good one is 1465, which I believe is related to the the data source version.  

Also the bottom right status indicator is the Query Editor is reading very oddly:

Waiting For {"DSN":"

WaitingFor.png

Usually it reads as:

Waiting For {"DSN":"DATASOURCE"}

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I have figured out the issue. It is related to the Preview Feature: Store Datasets Using Enhanced Metadata Format. Unfortunately once you've upgraded to the new format you can't revert it back, so I ended up having to recreate my report. 

Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Macky

Same here on my custom API connector. Any updates / solutions ?

I think I have figured out the issue. It is related to the Preview Feature: Store Datasets Using Enhanced Metadata Format. Unfortunately once you've upgraded to the new format you can't revert it back, so I ended up having to recreate my report. 

We received the same error against an on-prem SQL Server source after enabling "Enhanced Metadata Format". Luckily, we had an older version in source control to go back to.

MSampson
Regular Visitor

Hello, 

same error here: 'Expression in partition 'n/a' in table 'n/a' references unknown variable.

Although my source is a Sharepoint folder.

Any news till now what it can be?

Thanks

artemus
Employee
Employee

Just to be clear, you are using either Power Bi Desktop or if publishing online, you are using an enterprise gateway?

Yes, I am creating the report in Desktop, publishing to the service and trying to pass through our enterprise gateway. 

Good morning!!!

I don't know if I can contribute, but I have the same error for python script...
It can be something generic for these types of connections !!!

Link that posted 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors