Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The name 'Table.FuzzyNestedJoin' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly

When I try to do a "FuzzyNestedJoin" I get this error in Data Flows:

"The name 'Table.FuzzyNestedJoin' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly"

Here is what I am doing.........

Table.FuzzyNestedJoin(#"Expanded Exclude", {"Account_Name"}, HPG_Roster, {"Name2"}, "HPG_Roster", JoinKind.LeftOuter, [IgnoreCase = true, IgnoreSpace = true, NumberOfMatches = 1])................

Error.png

Any help would be amazing!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help @PhilipTreacy  and @watkinnc I've submitted an issue here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Table-FuzzyNestedJoin-Wasn-t-recognized-BUG-while-using/idi-.... How can I get this expedited or noticed as I see there are tons of other issues. Is there a way to make it so this doesn't get lost in the mix?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help @PhilipTreacy  and @watkinnc I've submitted an issue here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Table-FuzzyNestedJoin-Wasn-t-recognized-BUG-while-using/idi-.... How can I get this expedited or noticed as I see there are tons of other issues. Is there a way to make it so this doesn't get lost in the mix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@watkinnc Could you please help me understand where to add the ("="). Here is the step that is failing.

#"Merged queries" = Table.FuzzyNestedJoin(#"Expanded Exclude", {"Account_Name"}, HPG_Roster, {"Name2"}, "HPG_Roster", JoinKind.LeftOuter, [IgnoreCase = true, IgnoreSpace = true, NumberOfMatches = 1])

Here is an example of the full advanced aditor. Notice it doesn't even give me the option to do table.FuzzyNestedJoin. It only allows for table.NestedJoin
example.png

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't think a missing = is the issue.  If you are creating the join via the GUI then it enters all the necessary syntax for you including the step name and the = before the actual transformation part.

As the GUI offers you the option to do a fuzzy join yet does not list the fuzzy join functions as available either in the #shared query I gave you, or in the Intellisense lst in your last image, this looks like a bug to me.

Try reporting it in Issues and see what response you get

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/ct-p/PBI_Comm_Issues

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You just need to add an equals ("=") sign in front of the expression; otherwise, Power Query thinks you are referring to a table.

---Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Sorry @Anonymous I don't know why that would be happening.  Perhaps you can report it here

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/ct-p/PBI_Comm_Issues

Phil

If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhilipTreacy If I am in advanced editor it does not show up as a function BUT when I go to click "merge queries"  at the top it gives me the option to do a fuzzy merge? THen it populates the code for me. But then I proceed to get the error. This is the same for both the query you provided and the orignial query. See the image below allowing me to do a fuzzy merge with the query you gave.image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhilipTreacy  I'm using Dataflows so I don't think versions apply? Thanks so much for your help. Also if it helps I the fuzzy join is between a SQL connection and an excel file. But I do the exact same steps in desktop and it works great. It seems to be something that I am doing wrong in Dataflows or a bug? full screen.png

Sorry @Anonymous I was in a rush and didn't read the qs properly.

Did you create that query by hand or by using the GUI in PBI Service?

If you run this query is Table.FuzzyNestedJoin listed as a function?

let
  Source = #shared,
  #"Converted to table" = Record.ToTable(Source),
  #"Filtered rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Converted to table", each Text.Contains([Name], "uzzy"))
in
  #"Filtered rows"

Regards

Phil

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Have you got the latest version of PBI installed?

How/where did you create that query?

Phil

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors