Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FaizRahman
Frequent Visitor

The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explorer

I have a webquery and Analysis services which I am using to bring in the data. The refresh is working fine when configured using my personal gateway, but when I try to refresh it using the enterprise gateway, I get the below error:

Underlying error message: The Web.Page function requires Active Scripting to be enabled in Internet Explorer options. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=506565 for details on how to enable Active Scripting.

DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: DataSource.Error

I have checked and Active Scripting is enabled on the machine where enterprise gateway is hosted. Can you please help me sort this out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We were able to solve the issue. The issues was Local Group Policy was blocking the service user(pbiegwservice) to use Active Scripting.

* From the Windows Server Start menu, open the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
* Under Local Computer Policy, expand Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page > Internet Zone.
* Right-click Allow active scripting and click Edit.
* In the Allow active scripting dialog, click Enabled.
* In the Options area, select Enable from the list.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
VitHorak
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

same problem, but answer marked as solution above does not help.

I have web site (google sheet as https) as data source with approx 8k rows and 25 columns. In Power BI Desktop and in Power BI Services on web (via on-premise PBI gateway) is the same problem. Sometimes refreshing data from this web finish with sucess but usually failed because the Active scripting error. But active scripting is enabled in IE on my PC as well as on server, where the gateway service is running. We have latest gateway, latest desktop app installed .... 

I don't understand why sometimes the same datasource in the same report refreshed smoothly and sometimes failed!!! 

Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT 2020-03-02

After latest update of Power BI Desktop app and Gateway, it seems that whole proces goes smoothly...

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@FaizRahman ,

What Power query code do you use to connect to the web data source in Power BI Desktop? Is there any possibility that you use Web.Contents() function instead of Web.Page() function to get data?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am using Web.Page() function to fetch data using NetSuite API into Power BI.

@FaizRahman ,

Is there any possibility that you use Web.Contents() function instead of Web.Page() function to get data?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My query is something like this:

Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("URL HERE")),
Data0 = Source{0}[Data],

How do you suggest I should edit it ?

We were able to solve the issue. The issues was Local Group Policy was blocking the service user(pbiegwservice) to use Active Scripting.

* From the Windows Server Start menu, open the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
* Under Local Computer Policy, expand Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page > Internet Zone.
* Right-click Allow active scripting and click Edit.
* In the Allow active scripting dialog, click Enabled.
* In the Options area, select Enable from the list.

This soultion doesn't work for me. Active scripting is already enabled on my device and i am using the syntax below on PBI desktop:

let
Source = Web.Page(Binary.Buffer(Web.Contents("COMMCARE_DATA_FEED")))
in
Source

Can someone please assist?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors