Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

adezkam

TextBox that shows text inputted from some online document

As we have learned over the years, building a sexy dashboard with numbers and indicators is one thing. Another thing is to actually show what you are planning to do with the numbers.

Our executives needs to see what the operations are planning to do on the different KPI's. 

So my question is, are there a smart way where stakeholders can type in "actions" in text via online form/input field in some way (can be sharepoint, onedrive, excel file whatever), which then can load as a text on a Power Bi app (report/dashboard). 

This can also be used to input summaries

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi there,

Happy to help! So Excel documents hosted on SharePoint have an ability to create "Surveys" which allow you to create a custom form (with link) that has a clean web interface, and then is loaded into an Excel table. Any data (text, numbers, etc...) can be inputs on this. More info on how to create it can be found here. You can then connect Power BI to that SharePoint Excel Table and grab any data you want from it, and throw it on a text visual on the report, filtered by bottom (most recent) input, date, etc... There's also a really great Long Text Viewer custom visual you can download for free from the Power BI Visuals Gallery, just search for that. Hopefully this helps point you in the right direction!

Reid Havens - Principal Consultant

PowerPivotPro

Wow, thanks alot for the fast answer, buddy!

I have setup my survey now and that piece works perfectly well. 

Which source type do I use to connect to this online excel ? In PBI Desktop I have Excel which is a file, I got sharepoint online and sharepoint list. But not Sharepoint Excel..

Any idea which "Get Data" connector to use? Thanks!

Absolutely! So web web would be the one you want, though you can also use SharePoint online. There's a great set of replies to how to connect on a PBI Community Post here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors