Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DigitalEngineer

Template

Hi,

I have created a template (pbit), when bringing in a new dataset which has the same schema the applied steps taken are not applied to the new dataset. Can this be done? If so how?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

Can you explain what is in your PBIT file? What steps did you do to create it? Be explicit. I think you think we know more about your PBIT creation process than we do. A PBIT can be as simple as a custom font for a visual or as complex as connecing to 20 data sources with 10,000 lines of M code with a full model built, measures added, and report pages created.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
edhans
Super User
Super User

If you did Power Query that is M code. Sorry I wasn't clear. 

So you:

1. Open the PBIT
  2. select REFRESH ALL
  3. and it doesn't work?

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Ok learnt something new there.

1.Open PBIT

2.Get data - choose excel and load

3.My report is updated ok but it has extra columns no formatting which was previously done within the model tab?

edhans
Super User
Super User

Can you be more specific? The PBIT should have your M code in it and when you open it as a new file, it should apply the steps. I am not aware of a way to open a PBIT file as a new file and not apply the steps. 
A PBIT file has no dataset per se, it is empty of normal tabluar data. The opening of the PBIT will cause the dataset to populate through the M code. (this would be different if your dataset was an SSAS or another Power BI dataset, but this is the Power Query forum and you said "applied steps" so I am assuming that is not the case here.)

Thank you for your response edhans. I am a very new user to Power BI, I have not wrote any M code. Apologies if I have selected the wrong forum this is my first ever post.

When I open the template you are correct there is no data set, when I get my data the visuals are not quite right as the applied steps have not been applied. If I click on transform data, then apply the steps to remove columns, change type etc, so my visuals are good, I then export this again to PBIT, but when I reopen, get data all those applied steps do not apply.

If this is the incorrect forum please let me know which is the best place for me to repost. Your help is very much apprciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors