Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kindofblue

Take data from a Power BI report to create a new task in Microsoft Planner?

Hello Members of the Power Query forum,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to submit this question, but if not then perhaps someone can direct me to the appropriate forum.

With that said, this is an overview of my question:

I have a Power BI report that displays all the current manufacturing work orders from my ERP system. Everything works great with this report.

I was asked if it was possible to take relevant information from this report, (such as Work Order Job Number, Assembly Item, Quantity, Start Date, and Due Date,) and create a new Task in Microsoft Planner for each new work order from my Power BI report.

Our Manufacturing department would like to create a Kanban Board in Microsoft Planner that can track all the open work orders from our ERP system.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might pull data from a Power BI report to create a new task in Microsoft Planner?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and provide any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KNP
Super User
Super User

The steps that @edhans has mentioned are exactly what you need and I can confirm it works.

I tested the functionality when it was released, writing data to a SharePoint list and to a Power BI Dataset.

I just added the 'Create a task' from the planner actions in Power Automate to confirm and it works.

KNP_0-1643154926151.png

If you run into issues with the Power Automate side, ask a question over there, you can mention me if you like.

I am @KimP in the Power Automate forum.

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KNP
Super User
Super User

The steps that @edhans has mentioned are exactly what you need and I can confirm it works.

I tested the functionality when it was released, writing data to a SharePoint list and to a Power BI Dataset.

I just added the 'Create a task' from the planner actions in Power Automate to confirm and it works.

KNP_0-1643154926151.png

If you run into issues with the Power Automate side, ask a question over there, you can mention me if you like.

I am @KimP in the Power Automate forum.

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

Hi KNP,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my question and send some instructions. I will work on your instructions this week and let you know the results.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Yes, though this might be better asked in the Power Automate forum. But the answer is:

1. Create a Power Automate button in Power BI passing along the relevant information to Power Automate.
  2. In Power Automate, take that info and begin populating tasks in Planner.

Now, obviously the entire process is more detailed than that, but that is the high level overview. If you have specific questions on how to pass data in Power BI to Power Automate, let us know. If you have questions on how to use that data in Power Automate, then the PA forum is the place. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi Edhans,

Thanks for reading my question and writing back with your suggestions. I just started experimenting with Power Automate yesterday, so I will continue down that path and let you know how it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors