Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zaza
Resolver III
Resolver III

Table.Profile sum based on another column

I'm stuck with something that seems very simple but for some reason I can't seem to be able to make it work.

I have the following table:

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.27.30 AM.png

I create a new query in order to do a table profile on this table:

= Table.Profile(Query3, {{"Custom", each Type.Is(_, type nullable number), each List.Sum(    List.Select( _, each _ = 1 )    )}})

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.35.41 AM.png

As you can see I have a custom column that sums up the values if they are equal to 1.

However I want to get the sum of the values in Column1 if the values in the other columns equal to 1, basically a SUM IF of Column1. The resulting column should contain: 4, 42, 32 

How can I achieve this?

Here is the full query to generate the table and current result:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRQ0lEyBGEDAwOlWJ1oCAdFALcSfPIGBpiGQMTQ1eBQYICwJRYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}, {"Column3", Int64.Type}}),
    Custom1 = Table.Profile(#"Changed Type", {{"Custom", each Type.Is(_, type nullable number), each List.Sum(    List.Select( _, each _ = 1 )    )}})
in
    Custom1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @zaza ,

please try this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRQ0lEyBGEDAwOlWJ1oCAdFALcSfPIGBpiGQMTQ1eBQYICwJRYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}, {"Column3", Int64.Type}}),
    Custom1 = Table.Profile(#"Changed Type"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Custom1, "Custom", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", (inner) => Record.Field(inner, [Column]) = 1)[Column1]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
PDJsh
Regular Visitor

Hi, 

I have another similar issue.

I have two columns,

column 1 is a month column(which also includes a row called annual),

column 2 are values

i want to calculate the sum of values from July to June excluding annual.

Could u please help?

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @zaza 

probably the column type is not okay.

Try to add this step before your Table.Profile

Transform = Table.TransformColumns(PreviousStep,{{"Column1", each Number.From(_), type number}})

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @zaza ,

try adjusting your statement like so:

Table.Profile(Query3, {{"Custom", each Type.Is(_, type nullable number), each List.Sum(    List.Select( _, each _ = 1 )    )}})

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Removed

Hi @zaza ,

so you want to see 4 in each column? Good to understand your requirement now.
Then adjust it to return null for the non-Column1-rows (if [Column] = "Column1" then...) and fill down (and up, if necessary) the value for Column1.
Having said this I'm wondering why you try to force it through the opional parameter. 
Simply add a column after the Table.Profile step with the following formula: 

List.Count(List.Select( Query3[Column1], (inner) => inner = 1 ))

Removed

Hi @zaza ,

good to know what the task is now. Would be great if you had provided this at the beginning.

You can add a column to your table with the simple Table.Profile command like so:

Table.AddColumn(TableProfileStep, "Custom2", each List.Sum(Table.Column(Table.SelectRows( Query3, (inner)=> inner[Column1] = 1 ), [Column])))

I don't see how you could achieve this with the 2nd parameter within the Table.Profile-function.

Removed

No problem.
The environment of the 2nd argument doesn't allow to reference the columns that the Table.Profile column generates. So there is now way (that I know at least) to determine the relevant column. Therefore you have to execute the Table.Profile function first for being able to reference the [Column]-column as identifier.

If you want to learn more about the environment concept in M, I can recommend the article series that I've written with Lars here: https://ssbi-blog.de/blog/technical-topics-english/the-environment-concept-in-m-for-power-query-and-...

@ImkeF 

I apologise for the confusion, I made a mistake in my original post and the follow up post as well and ended up asking for something totally different. I modified my original query instead of posting a new one. I hope now it's prefectly clear.

Hi @zaza ,

I have no clue how to end up with 42 or 32 based on the sample data in the image you've given.
Please create an Excel-Workbook with sample data before and after, upload it to a clouds storage and paste the link to it here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if you don't have other specific reasons to  use table.profile, you can do the job without in this way, for exmple:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRQ0lEyBGEDAwOlWJ1oCAdFALcSfPIGBpiGQMTQ1eBQYICwJRYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t]),
    #"Demoted Headers" = Table.DemoteHeaders(#"Changed Type"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Demoted Headers",{{"Column1", type any}, {"Column2", type any}, {"Column3", type any}}),
    #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Changed Type1"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Transposed Table", "SumCol11whereEq1", each List.Accumulate(List.PositionOf(Record.FieldValues(_),1,Occurrence.All),0,(s,c)=>s+Record.FieldValues(#"Transposed Table"{0}){c}))
in
    #"Added Custom"

@ImkeF 

Here is the excel with the formulas, I think this will clear it up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f2WhD5CVaamnnYzvs2AKMFZiAW0PBnqR/view?usp=sharing

Hi @zaza ,

please try this:

let
    Custom1 = Table.Profile(#"Changed Type"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Custom1, "Custom", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", (inner) => Record.Field(inner, [Column]) = 1)[Column1]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors