Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Grooujer
Regular Visitor

Switching user account for Power BI in NAV 2017

Hi Reader,

I've currently managed to display Power BI reports in NAV 2017. This is a local installation of NAV (not web). To do so i've registered the app in Azure and logged into a specific power bi user account as part of the process. I want to switch the power bi account of the user i'm currently using and log in with another power bi account. I cannot find documentation anywhere on how to do so, also cannot find a solution within NAV 2017. Can anyone tell me how to switch the useraccount? I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Jeroen

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Grooujer,

Do you follow the instructions in this blog to enable Microsoft Power BI in NAV 2017? If that is the case, I would recommend you post the question in Microsoft Dynamics NAV Forum to get dedicated support.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your reply. Yes i did, the proccess worked and i've succesfully set-up the connectiont with a power bi account. Thing is, we want to switch between power bi accounts. My case is perhaps very specific but i can imagine end-users might log-in with a wrong account and want to switch also. 

I will post the question to the dynamics forum and if i find a solution i will mention it here also as others might find it helpful. 

Kind Regards,

Jeroen

Hello, I'm not sure if this is still an issue for you because the initial post is older than a year, but finally I have found the solution to this after I faced the very same problem for months. At some point this week I thought of the first steps to activate Power BI in the NAV rolecenter. It's creating an app registration in Azure. Switching users has everything to do with this app but don't worry. You don't have to recreate the app to fix this.

Here is how to do it:

1. Login to your Office 365 portal via portal.office.com or something simillar. You can also get there via your webmail. Just click the gear in the right top of your screen and click on Office 365 under 'your app settings'. You will be redirected to your own Office portal.
  2. On the left side of the screen there are a few options. One of them is called app-permissions. Click this menu.
    • You can see all the app permissions you have right here.
    • Notice the blue link 'my apps' on top of your screen where you also find some information about the page. You need this link after step 3
  3. AND HERE IS THE FUN PART:
    • Remember the name of the app registration you created in Azure for Power BI in NAV2017?
    • You will find this name here as well.
    • Under the app, you will find 2 options: Revoke and Details. Simply click on Revoke and you won't have permissions anymore for this particular app.
  4. Ok so now click the 'my apps' link on top of the page. You will be redirected to another page with all of your apps.
  5. Notice the, somewhat hard to see, light grey line somewhere in the middele of your screen.
    • Below this line, look for the app registration which you revoked in step 3.
    • If you can find it, delete it by hoovering over the app, click the 3 dots and select delete.
    • If you cannot find it then you either should look harder or you might be good to go from here.

Now don't rush to restart you NAV2017 client and see if it worked or not because you will find yourself getting frustrated that all the above steps didn't help.

Even though today everything goes really really fast, you should give Microsoft around 60 minutes tops to synch and update the connections.

If after 60 minutes still nothing happened, put it to rest and check again the next morning. If it still hasn't worked in the morning, you might have revoked the wrong app or there is some other issue.

For me the above steps worked and now I can simply login with another Power BI user / Office 365 user.

Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors