Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Antmkjr
Helper V
Helper V

Switch statement in power query

Can some one help me build switch statement in power query

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

the code you indicate I believe is DAX (which I don't know). Try to see if this is okay for you. If the control conditions are different (not "simple" equalities) it is necessary to change the setting. But in case you should give specific examples of which situation you need to manage.

View solution in original post

Hi @Antmkjr 

There is no built-in Switch function in Power Query. In additon to the custom Switch function, you can also achieve this by adding a conditional column easily. It will generate an IF statement like below.

if [Segment1] = 1 then "ABC" else if [Segment1] = 54 then "FGH" else if [Segment1] = 56 then "JKL" else if [Segment1] = 101 then "BNM" else null

042102.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PL-Jordells
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I know this is an older thread, but I have a personal solution that I have been preferring to use in several situations.

I use a "Record.Field" function around a custom record of my possible cases:

each Record.Field([Case1="Output1", Case2="Output2", Case3="Output3"], [INPUT])

If the input exactly matches any of the record's field names, then it will give that field's value.

This allows you to only need to have the input in the code once, and not need to have all the "Else If" and "Then" statements within the code.

There are some limitations to this approach (some of which I may be forgetting at this time), but here are a few extra tips with this approach which can be combined as needed:

• You can put this within a "try otherwise" statement to allow a default value when there is no exact field match:
    each try Record.Field([Case1="Output1", Case2="Output2", Case3="Output3"], [INPUT]) otherwise "Default Output"
  • To allow case-insensitivity, you can use a "Text.Upper" or "Text.Lower" function on your input, then have all Case fields match that casing:
    each Record.Field([case1="Output1", case2="Output2", case3="Output3"], Text.Lower([INPUT]))
  • If you might have number values instead of text for any/all of your input, you can use the "Text.From" function on your input:
    each Record.Field([101="Output1", 102="Output2", 103b="Output3"], Text.From([INPUT]))
  • Note: You can have spaces in the record's field names; only the spaces between characters will be considered part of the field name:
    each Record.Field([Case Test 1="Output1", Case Test 2="Output2", Case Test 3="Output3"],[INPUT])

I hope this is helpful to someone! (or my future self 😁)

EDIT:

I noticed after posting this, that you had posted a reply with your specific use case, so here is my solution with your specific details:

each Record.Field([1="ABC", 54="FGH", 56="JKL", 101="BNM"],Text.From([#"Discoverer-Receivables"][Segment1]))

(This example assumes "Discover-Receivables" is a record column where each record has a "Segment1" field.)

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Antmkjr ,
I've created a function for this a while ago here: A generic SWITCH-function for the query editor in Power BI and Power Query – The BIccountant

Just be aware, that it doesn't cover Switch-true-statements.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

waiting for you to better clarify what you expect, I propose this scheme.

let
/*    switch( c )
{
    case 'A':
        capital_a++;
    case 'a':
        letter_a++;
    default :
        total++;
}
*/

switch= (c) => 
     if c= "A" then "add_One_A" else 
     if c="a" then "add_One_a" else 
     "add_nOne_a"

in 

switch

SWITCH (
TRUE (),
'Discoverer-Receivables'[Segment1] = 1, "ABC",
'Discoverer-Receivables'[Segment1] = 54, "FGH",
'Discoverer-Receivables'[Segment1] = 56, "JKL",
'Discoverer-Receivables'[Segment1] = 101, "BNM"
)

Looking  to implement this logic in power query

Hi @Antmkjr 

There is no built-in Switch function in Power Query. In additon to the custom Switch function, you can also achieve this by adding a conditional column easily. It will generate an IF statement like below.

if [Segment1] = 1 then "ABC" else if [Segment1] = 54 then "FGH" else if [Segment1] = 56 then "JKL" else if [Segment1] = 101 then "BNM" else null

042102.jpg

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the code you indicate I believe is DAX (which I don't know). Try to see if this is okay for you. If the control conditions are different (not "simple" equalities) it is necessary to change the setting. But in case you should give specific examples of which situation you need to manage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to provide more information in order for us to help. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors