Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WESTi
Helper I
Helper I

Summarizing a SalesForce report with 252,000 rows so that I can report a summary table in PowerBi

I want to create report that effectively says "you have this many customers at this stage and so many at this stage"...

We achieve this using a matrix report in Salesforce which reports on the customer segment and stage segment. This bring the matrix report to around 6 rows. I would like to recreate this in PowerBi as I will be joining with data from other sources.

The issue is that when I connect to this report in PowerBi using Get Data -> SalesForce reports, it attempts to return the full data set of 252,000 rows (but limits itself @ 2000 rows). I have tried creating the report a few different ways in SalesForce but it seems to only pull the full tabular data set behind the summarized information. How can I get the data summarised in PowerBi? How can I retrieve limited data at the query time or is there something I can do in PowerBi?

I am new to reporting on SalesForce information from PowerBi. For our MSSQL data I would just create a SQL query such as; SELECT column1, colum2, COUNT(column3) FROM table WHERE x = x. I dont know if I can use SOQL somewhere in this process to do as I would for MSSQL?

Any help is much appreciated

2 REPLIES 2
elsalvador182
Advocate III
Advocate III

If you are pulling a "Salesforce Report" you are limited to 2000 rows....soo if your report is 2000+ then you will not pull all the rows...however, you can pull a "salesforce object" and pull any amount of rows but the disadvantage is you have to basically build that report within power bi after you pull the data...

keep in mind enterprise gateway will not pull salesforce objects, what I do is use a custom salesforce app using SOQL to export and dump object csv on a server and i pull these with Power Bi.

Thanks for your response @elsalvador182

My report on SalesForce uses a dataset of 252,000 rows but presents a summarized report of only like 6 rows. When I pull this report via PowerBi Online it will present the dataset as though the report was run on SalesForce (in a summarized view of 6 rows) which is exactly what I want. The issue with using the online connector is that I cannot merge this SalesForce data with data from our other datasources (using PowerBi Online).

When I do the exact same connection using the Desktop app, it instead returns the entire 252,000 row data set instead of the 6 rows. Was wondering if there was a way to get it to show the summarized dataset?

Also, I wasn't aware the enterprise gateway will not pull SalesForce objects. That is very good to know as.

Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors