Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sum multiple Columns formula

Hello,

I would like to sum mutliple columns in a table. For now, I simply did it like this:

JTR_0-1636970421669.png

As the amount of columns might vary from time to time, I aim to make it more flexible. In all columns that have to be summed the word "Capacity" will always appear in the first row. Is it possible to create a Column based on a formula in the Power Query Editor which automatically sums all Columns which have the word capacity in its first row?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Jakob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you promote the first row as header or you need the column names remain as Column1, Column2...? Here is one way if you promote the first row, my previous step is Change Type, you need to modify it accordingly

Vera_33_0-1636985363544.png

Table.AddColumn(yourPreviousStep, "Custom", (x) => List.Sum(List.Transform( List.Select( Table.ColumnNames( yourPreviousStep), each Text.Contains(_,"Capacity")), each Record.Field(x,_))))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you promote the first row as header or you need the column names remain as Column1, Column2...? Here is one way if you promote the first row, my previous step is Change Type, you need to modify it accordingly

Vera_33_0-1636985363544.png

Table.AddColumn(yourPreviousStep, "Custom", (x) => List.Sum(List.Transform( List.Select( Table.ColumnNames( yourPreviousStep), each Text.Contains(_,"Capacity")), each Record.Field(x,_))))

Anonymous
Not applicable

It works like this, thank you very much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors