Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aimeeclaird
Helper IV
Helper IV

Sum actuals by Month (Date) and Contract (text)

Please can someone help? Trying to compare my target table to actual sales. 

I'm looking to create a calculated column in my target table that shows the actual sales. I think I need something that will calculate:

Sum total sales, group by month and then by contract 

Each contract has a target for each month in my target table, it looks like this

ContractDateTargetActual
1Jan 2020100 
1Feb 202050 
1March 202070 
2Jan 2020150 
2Feb 2020200 
2March 2020250 
3Jan 2020300 
3Feb 2020100 
3March 2020150 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Aimeeclaird ,

If I got it correctly, you can create this calculated column to calcuate actual sales for each month:

Actual = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table'[Target]),
    FILTER(
        ALL('Table'),
        'Table'[Date] = EARLIER('Table'[Date])
    )
)
Variance = [Target] - [Actual]

re.png

Attached a sample file in the below, hopes to help you.

If I got it wrong, please feel free to let me know so that I could help you better to solve this issue.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Aimeeclaird ,

If I got it correctly, you can create this calculated column to calcuate actual sales for each month:

Actual = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table'[Target]),
    FILTER(
        ALL('Table'),
        'Table'[Date] = EARLIER('Table'[Date])
    )
)
Variance = [Target] - [Actual]

re.png

Attached a sample file in the below, hopes to help you.

If I got it wrong, please feel free to let me know so that I could help you better to solve this issue.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Aimeeclaird ,

You can use append both tables (keeping exactly the same name for columns on both tables). So you will have the target and sales on the same table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @camargos88 

If I append, how would that sum the total sales? I want my target table to have a row per contract, per month. 

I then want to see the total sales for that contract and month beside it. 

Please can you clarify (sorry, PBI is new to me) how appending the sales would allow me to present the target vs the actual? If i append the sales to the target, my targets go up massively as they're duplicated for every sales row?

Many thanks in advance

Aimee

@Aimeeclaird ,

I can think about 2 options:

1) You can group your sales table by month/contract summing the sales values and merge this table with the target table. Be aware of the join kind (I would say full join) and clean the month/contract columns before the merge.

2) Append both tables, cleaning the month/contract values and same column names for them. 

The 2 option can be useful if you need to counting the values or calculate avg basead on user selections. If you aggregate you tables having 1 row per month/contract maybe you lose this info.

I'm sorry @camargos88 , I am not sure if I am explaining what I need correctly, or my lack of PBI knowledge is the problem but I don't understand how either of your ideas help.

My final product should show:

- Month Year

- Total Sales (actual)

- Total Target Sales (target)

- Variance between (target - actual)

Also, how should I merge or apend as there isn't a common ID etc? 

Is there not a suitable calculation I could write into the target table that 'groups' the sum? So instead of summing the entire column, it looks at the Contract and the Date and gives me the total sales for that month/year and contract?

@Aimeeclaird ,

Check the attached file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors