Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stopping multiple API calls on same records from Power Query

I have a column that calls an API that converts IP addresses to a countries and cities. To achieve that, I use the Json.Documents(Web.Contents(url, [IsRetry = false])) method to get the response back. From the my understanding of the documentation, setting the IsRetry option to false means when the data is refreshed, it doesn't call the API again on older data. But that isn't working, and it still calls the API instead of using the cache.

Am I understanding it correctly? How would I solve this so that it only calls the API on new data after each refresh? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

@v-kelly-msft @mahoneypat 

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may refer to:

All You Need to Know About the Incremental Refresh in Power BI: Load Changes Only

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Are you trying to get incremental refresh functionality?  If so, the IsRetry parameter wouldn't work for that, and a different approach is needed (not straight forward).

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to have one API call per record in my tables. So when the dataset is refreshed again, the older record that already called the API should not call it again. Is that possible in Power BI or should I do it in the backend, something I would prefer not to? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors