Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abaconsup
Advocate I
Advocate I

Status Code 500 - can't connect Power BI to Visual Studio Team Services

I'm trying to connect Power BI to a Visual Studio Team Services account.

From app.powerbi.com I'm selecting GetData->Services->Visual Studio Team Services->Connect

I enter my account and project name, then sign-in and click Accept on the pop-up to authorize the application "Visual Studio Online for Power BI". The pop-up disappears and I'm returned to the login page but presented with the following message:

Failed to update data source credentials.Hide details

Activity ID:b3589241-c096-1a46-a202-e01a8bcdba74
Request ID:521e6bcc-6a1d-13f3-6d58-fc82806f18b4
Status code:500
Time:Tue Apr 19 2016 15:20:19 GMT+0100 (GMT Summer Time)
Version:13.0.1100.348
Cluster URI:https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net

I've confirmed that I'm logged into both PowerBI and VSTS with my microsoft work account.

I also tried creating a new visual studio account and project and connecting to that, which also fails.

Are there any other steps I can try to get the connection up and running to VSTS?

Any help much appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
sunil1
Employee
Employee

I am getting same error. Can someone help in fixing this?

I'm getting the same error at the moment. This issue comes and goes, the only solution it to wait, seemingly something in the background occasionally breaks the VSTS integration. Keep trying, previously it took a week for this to start working for me.

Same error as months prior!  Waiting... is not a solution.

Thanks for reporting the issue. This is a known issue with large accounts and it is on the Visual Studio team's radar. I'll keep this thread posted with updates.

Apologies for the inconvenience this is causing.

Youssef Shoukry
Product Manager, Power BI

Does anyone know if the issue is fixed?

I have the same problem for the last 6 hours.....

Is the problem fixed? Or not?

I have the same issue for the last 6 hours.

SvenL

I have the same issue. I think the Error Status Code 500 referes to HTTP Error Code 500, so i think they have some problems with the service.

I hope they fix it soon.

I am also having the same issue!

I am also having the same problem - same exact issue.

Looks like they fixed this issue, i can connect to VSTS Online again!

Success! This is working now, thanks for letting me know

@abaconsup hmm. Make sure you have this set correctly in VSTS

VS.JPG

However, I get the same error right now as well...and I've confirmed the above settings. I've also tested out to see if this was a perms issue, but I ramped things up with our sysadmin to make me a VSTS admin, and the same error shows. I'm guessing something is broken currently.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors