Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JayWai

Spreading rows based on division percentages from another table

Hi, 

Sorry if this is handled elsewhere, I looked around but couldn't really find a good topic on what I'm looking for. 

I'm looking for a way to duplicate and recalculate some data based on another table. 

The case is the following: 

In one Query I generate a list with employee costs in several categories, with an amount.

In another table I have employee data, assigning each employee to 1 or more Business Units and departments with a split of 100% over 1 or more lines.

The expected output is that each cost is duplicated X times where X is the amount of different lines the employee is assigned to, mentioning the BU and Dept of each line and multiplying the amounts with the % factor.

Small example to show what I'm looking for: 

JayWai_0-1669720962532.png

Looking for some guidance on how to generate the expected output table. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Given this table called 'Input2':

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcitKzMtW0lEyNVAFkm6lRXmZJaVFqUB2cGJOarFSrA66GpfU4sz0PBQFXql5eZlpqUVAQWOwGv+y1KKM1MQUINM3MS8xPTU3Na8EXakRppWlBQX5RRgK8bktJD+pEihgaIDP3lgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Employee Name" = _t, #"% " = _t, BU = _t, Dept = _t]),
    chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Employee Name", type text}, {"% ", Percentage.Type}, {"BU", type text}, {"Dept", type text}})
in
    chgTypes

You can create this table based on Input1:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcitKzMtW0lFyK03NAVKmBkqxOgjRgMSi7My8dCDLCCLhlZqXl5mWWoTQYWSAIeOcWJJaBNFmCJUNyU+qROgBi8YCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Employee Name" = _t, #"Cost Type" = _t, Amount = _t]),
    chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Employee Name", type text}, {"Cost Type", type text}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}}),
    mergeInput2 = Table.NestedJoin(chgTypes, {"Employee Name"}, Input2, {"Employee Name"}, "Input2", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    expandInput2 = Table.ExpandTableColumn(mergeInput2, "Input2", {"% ", "BU", "Dept"}, {"% ", "BU", "Dept"}),
    addSplitAmount = Table.AddColumn(expandInput2, "splitAmount", each [Amount] * [#"% "]),
    remOthCols = Table.SelectColumns(addSplitAmount,{"Employee Name", "Cost Type", "BU", "Dept", "splitAmount"})
in
    remOthCols

Output:

BA_Pete_0-1669734292769.png

I've attached the working PBIX below.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JayWai

Thanks Pete, Crystal clear and will help me to work on the actual Query. Much obliged! 

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @JayWai ,

You should just be able to merge Input2 to Input1 on [Employee Name], then multiply Input1[Amount] by Input2[%] to get the new amount column.

Remove any columns you no longer need.

If you can share some sample data of Input1 an Input2 in a copyable format, I can knock up a working query for you.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hey Pete, 

Thanks for your input. I copied the "data" attached. It's just a simplified and short version of what I'm actually working with. Just want to get the technique down... Probably relatively simple. 

When merging, won't I just add one of the hits of Frank for example to his costs, instead of showing each line for Frank available? 

Employee NameCost TypeAmount
FrankFuel50
FrankParking20
JenniferFuel200
JenniferCatering100
TobyFuel100

Employee NameBUDept
Frank50%FurnitureSales
Frank50%DesignSales
Jennifer30%OverheadManagement
Jennifer20%FurnitureSupport
Jennifer50%FurnitureSales
Toby100%OverheadManagement

Employee NameCost TypeAmountBUDept
FrankFuel25FurnitureSales
FrankFuel25DesignSales
FrankParking10FurnitureSales
FrankParking10DesignSales
JenniferFuel60OverheadManagement
JenniferFuel40FurnitureSupport
JenniferFuel100FurnitureSales
JenniferCatering30OverheadManagement
JenniferCatering20FurnitureSupport
JenniferCatering50FurnitureSales
TobyFuel100OverheadManagement

In any case thanks for your time and reply! 

Kind regards, 

Given this table called 'Input2':

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcitKzMtW0lEyNVAFkm6lRXmZJaVFqUB2cGJOarFSrA66GpfU4sz0PBQFXql5eZlpqUVAQWOwGv+y1KKM1MQUINM3MS8xPTU3Na8EXakRppWlBQX5RRgK8bktJD+pEihgaIDP3lgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Employee Name" = _t, #"% " = _t, BU = _t, Dept = _t]),
    chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Employee Name", type text}, {"% ", Percentage.Type}, {"BU", type text}, {"Dept", type text}})
in
    chgTypes

You can create this table based on Input1:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcitKzMtW0lFyK03NAVKmBkqxOgjRgMSi7My8dCDLCCLhlZqXl5mWWoTQYWSAIeOcWJJaBNFmCJUNyU+qROgBi8YCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Employee Name" = _t, #"Cost Type" = _t, Amount = _t]),
    chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Employee Name", type text}, {"Cost Type", type text}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}}),
    mergeInput2 = Table.NestedJoin(chgTypes, {"Employee Name"}, Input2, {"Employee Name"}, "Input2", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    expandInput2 = Table.ExpandTableColumn(mergeInput2, "Input2", {"% ", "BU", "Dept"}, {"% ", "BU", "Dept"}),
    addSplitAmount = Table.AddColumn(expandInput2, "splitAmount", each [Amount] * [#"% "]),
    remOthCols = Table.SelectColumns(addSplitAmount,{"Employee Name", "Cost Type", "BU", "Dept", "splitAmount"})
in
    remOthCols

Output:

BA_Pete_0-1669734292769.png

I've attached the working PBIX below.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors