Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kolumam
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Splitting overlapping dates using Power Query

I have the below table:

Start Date of ContractEnd Date of ContractContract
1/7/201931/8/2019X
1/9/201931/3/2020X
12/5/202031/12/2021X
1/4/201731/3/2018Y
1/4/201831/3/2020Y
11/5/202031/12/2021Y

I want to split the overlapping dates for each contract like below:

Start Date of ContractEnd Date of ContractContract
1/7/201931/12/2019X
1/9/201931/12/2019X
1/1/202031/3/2020X
12/5/202031/12/2020X
1/1/202131/12/2021X

Similarly for contract Y. Is this possible?

@mow700 @Smauro @Mariusz @HotChilli @edhans @mahoneypat 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi 

this is done in my solution here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-urgent-help-DAX-calculation/m-p/1216539#M541668

(Assuming there is an error in the first row of the sample you've provided and it ends end of August and not end of year:

Start Date of Contract End Date of Contract Contract
1/7/2019 31/08/2019 X
1/9/2019 31/12/2019 X
1/1/2020 31/3/2020 X
12/5/2020 31/12/2020 X
1/1/2021 31/12/2021 X

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
edhans
Super User
Super User

You are going to have to explain the logic of how to get from table 1 to table 2. I cannot see what you are doing.

Why did the July 1 start date have an ending date of 8/31  get changed to 12/31

Why did a new start date of Jan 1 appear in the start column? It wasn't in the first table?

Etc.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi 

this is done in my solution here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-urgent-help-DAX-calculation/m-p/1216539#M541668

(Assuming there is an error in the first row of the sample you've provided and it ends end of August and not end of year:

Start Date of Contract End Date of Contract Contract
1/7/2019 31/08/2019 X
1/9/2019 31/12/2019 X
1/1/2020 31/3/2020 X
12/5/2020 31/12/2020 X
1/1/2021 31/12/2021 X

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

here an attempt to interpret the request:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQ31zcyMLRU0lEyNtS3gLEjlGJ1QJKWSJLGQLaRAULSSN8UJgKUBXKBHEMkvSYgveYIvYYWQHYksqQFmsFQSUMcBgOlYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [start = _t, end = _t, Contract = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"end", type date}, {"start", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each splitRow(_)),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.FromRecords( Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")[Custom]),
    #"Removed Errors" = Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(#"Expanded Custom", {"start"})
in
    #"Removed Errors"

where function spliRow is:

let
    splitRow=(dRow)=>
    let 
        startY=Date.Year(dRow[start]),
        endY=Date.Year(dRow[end]),
        nrows=endY-startY,
        splitRows=if nrows >0 then
        let
        row= Record.TransformFields(dRow,{{"start", DateTime.From},{"end", DateTime.From}}),
        fRow=row & [start=Date.From(row[start]),end=Date.From(Date.EndOfYear(row[start]))],
        lRow=row & [start=Date.From(Date.StartOfYear(row[end])),end=Date.From(row[end])], 
        bdate=List.Transform({1..nrows-1},each {Date.AddYears(#date(endY,1,1),_-nrows),Date.AddYears(#date(startY,12,31),_)}),
        bRows= List.Accumulate({0..nrows-2},{},(s,c)=>s&{dRow&[start=bdate{c}{0}, end=bdate{c}{1}]}) 

in {fRow} & bRows & {lRow}
        else {dRow}
in splitRows

in 
splitRow

image.png

I think the solution is partial.
In the sense that  @Kolumam  also wants that if the end date of a row is contiguous or higher than the start date of the next row, that they are treated as a union.

@Anonymous Can you guide me how to invoke the function in Power Query?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let we try,.

I don't know where you encounter difficulties, so I explain in general how it works.

You can use as i did, as function inside add. column function

Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each splitRow(_))

the function expects a record as input parameter. The record must have the start (type date) and end (type date) fields and other generic fields.

The function  has been designed for the precise scenario that you have presented, for this reason it does not do many checks.

I take this opportunity to give a more terse version, I take this opportunity to give a more succinct version, but that does exactly the same things.

let
    splitRow=(dRow)=>
    let 
        startY=Date.Year(dRow[start]),
        endY=Date.Year(dRow[end]),
        nrows=endY-startY,
        splitRows=if nrows >0 then
        let
        row= Record.TransformFields(dRow,{{"start", DateTime.From},{"end", DateTime.From}}),
        fRow=row & [start=Date.From(row[start]),end=Date.From(Date.EndOfYear(row[start]))],
        lRow=row & [start=Date.From(Date.StartOfYear(row[end])),end=Date.From(row[end])], 
        bRows=List.Transform({1..nrows-1},each 
                            dRow&[start=Date.AddYears(#date(endY,1,1),_-nrows),end=Date.AddYears(#date(startY,12,31),_)])
        in {fRow} & bRows & {lRow}
        else {dRow}
in splitRows

in 
splitRow

You should put these lines of code in a separate query called splitRow.

For example you could have this situation:

here the screen of source data:

image.png

this is the screen of function (ver 2)

image.png

and here the result tab of the query Table which has the code I already posted in the previuos message.:

image.png

I hope this clarify, a little bit more what is going on ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let suppose you have you table load in query Azzurro and the output of last step of the query Azzurro is the your table .

You can refer to that table from another query using the name of the query, like done in the following screen. 

You could actually use the name Azzurro directly in the red oval, without the intermediate step that makes use of the Source variable.

image.png

a second possibility, if you prefer, would be to use the following lines of code, inside the blue query, hanging them at the end of the existing code.

// attach after your code that loaad in the data.

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(the_name_of_last_step,{{"end", type date}, {"start", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each splitRow(_)),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.FromRecords( Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")[Custom])
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

In this case the first parameter of Table.TransformColumnTypes(the_name_of_last_step 

must be replaced with the name of the previous step.

Hi @Anonymous 

Thank you so much!

Last question: If I use a table from my data source (say from Azure) how do I reference it in your power query instead of the custom table that you have created?

@Anonymous  your solution seems to be correct. This is exactly what I want. I made a mistake in the first row as indicated by @ImkeF 

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok.

I take this opportunity, just to make an observation and ask for comments.
The point concerns the use of the Date.EndOfYear function which seems to accept only DateTime type arguments and not Date.
For this reason in the spliRow function I have done back and forth dateTime.From and dateFrom.

Smauro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Could you explain why you'd like to see the second row in your result?

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors