Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

khaycock
Helper I
Helper I

Splitting data and transposing

I have an email log that I was hoping to feed into an Excel spreadsheet using power query but it's all in one big column with no clear delimeter. Is there any way I can split each section where there is a gap in the data (row 23 in this first one) and turn it all into one single row of data with different columns before moving onto the next batch and doing the same?

data.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @khaycock 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmASTJiASVMwaYYQNgeTFmDSUik2FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),

col1_ = #"Changed Type"[Column1],
    out_ = List.Accumulate(col1_, [stateAll={}, stateItem = {}], (state, current)=> 
                     [stateAll= if current="" then state[stateAll] & {state[stateItem]} else state[stateAll], 
                      stateItem = if current<>"" then state[stateItem] &  {current} else {}] ), 
    res_ = if out_[stateItem] = {}  then out_[stateAll] else out_[stateAll] & {out_[stateItem]},
    res2_ = Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(res_, each {Text.Combine(_, "|")})) //Change here the separator between rows
in
    res2_

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @khaycock 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmASTJiASVMwaYYQNgeTFmDSUik2FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),

col1_ = #"Changed Type"[Column1],
    out_ = List.Accumulate(col1_, [stateAll={}, stateItem = {}], (state, current)=> 
                     [stateAll= if current="" then state[stateAll] & {state[stateItem]} else state[stateAll], 
                      stateItem = if current<>"" then state[stateItem] &  {current} else {}] ), 
    res_ = if out_[stateItem] = {}  then out_[stateAll] else out_[stateAll] & {out_[stateItem]},
    res2_ = Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(res_, each {Text.Combine(_, "|")})) //Change here the separator between rows
in
    res2_

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

I would do it this way, by replacing the empty row value with "$" then combining the text, splitting at the "$", then converting the newly split list back into a table.  Let's say your last step is currently "LastStep".  You can either add each step in the formula editor or paste into the advanced editor (you have to remove your current last comma, and use the "in" statement provided below):

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(LastStep,"","$",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column1"}),
Custom1 = Text.Combine(#"Replaced Value"[Column1]),
#"Split Text" = Text.Split(Custom1, "$"),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(#"Split Text", Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
#"Converted to Table"

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Jakinta
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

= Table.SplitColumn( Table.FromList( List.Transform(List.Split(PreviousStep[Column1],23), each Text.Combine(List.RemoveLastN(_,1), "/////"))), "Column1",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("/////", QuoteStyle.Csv))

What do I put within PreviousStep?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors