Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spliting rows with spicific columns

Hello Everyone and thank you in advance for your help,

I'm struggling with this problem, here's an example:

EXAMPLE.PNG

I manage to split the rows using M but I can't find a way to make the split while keeping the QTY attached to each SKU. I would really appreaciate any help!

Thank you for your time,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. Check the column "Row" and unpivot other columns
  2. Check the resulting "Attribute"-column and extract the first 3 characters from it
  3. Pivot that new column with "Values" in the values-section

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    Source = Table.FromRecords(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("lZC9CsJAEAbf5atT3F9ArlNjTEyh0RxyiG8QtBIL8d3V4/aygoXXzS4sM+zpgf31DisLHDonYTFfLBEGBXu5jWNgzdgwLon7wb+PdQDFlpqxYRwPn0X0K+avkh9VHWP+DJAlFagsvU76/ria9IN3WXojSC+FyAowKcC7dgrYbdsUgE2zBhWga2r8/ICihFkqiGQ+WV/28ws=", BinaryEncoding.Base64),Compression.Deflate))),
    rows=Table.RowCount(Source),
    ncols=(Table.ColumnCount(Source)-1)/2,    
    lstrecs=List.Transform({0..rows-1}, (r)=> List.Transform({1..ncols}, each [Row=r+1,SKU=Table.Column(Source, "SKU"&Text.From(_)){r},QTY=Table.Column(Source, "QTY"&Text.From(_)){r}])),
    recs=List.Combine(lstrecs),
    tfr=Table.FromRecords(recs),
    #"Filtrate righe" = Table.SelectRows(tfr, each ([QTY] <> null))

in
    #"Filtrate righe"
Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    Source = Table.FromRecords(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("lZC9CsJAEAbf5atT3F9ArlNjTEyh0RxyiG8QtBIL8d3V4/aygoXXzS4sM+zpgf31DisLHDonYTFfLBEGBXu5jWNgzdgwLon7wb+PdQDFlpqxYRwPn0X0K+avkh9VHWP+DJAlFagsvU76/ria9IN3WXojSC+FyAowKcC7dgrYbdsUgE2zBhWga2r8/ICihFkqiGQ+WV/28ws=", BinaryEncoding.Base64),Compression.Deflate))),
    cols=Table.ColumnNames(Source),
    rows=Table.RowCount(Source),
    ncols=(Table.ColumnCount(Source)-1)/2,    
    lstrecs=List.Transform({0..rows-1}, (r)=> List.Transform({1..ncols}, each [Row=r+1,SKU=Table.Column(Source, cols{_}){r},QTY=Table.Column(Source, cols{ncols+_}){r}])),
    recs=List.Combine(lstrecs),
    tfr=Table.FromRecords(recs),
    #"Filtrate righe" = Table.SelectRows(tfr, each ([QTY] <> null))

in
    #"Filtrate righe"
Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    ttc=Table.ToColumns(Source),
    c1=List.Repeat(ttc{0},5),
    sku=List.Combine(List.Range(ttc,1,5)),
    qty=List.Combine(List.Range(ttc,6,5)),
    tfc=Table.FromColumns({c1,sku,qty},{"idx","sku","qty"}),
    #"Ordinate righe" = Table.Sort(tfc,{{"idx", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Filtrate righe" = Table.SelectRows(#"Ordinate righe", each ([sku] <> null))
in
    #"Filtrate righe"
ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @Anonymous 

Try this:

let
    trans = Table.ToList(Source, each List.Transform(List.RemoveItems(List.Zip(List.Split(List.Skip(_), 5)), {{null, null}}), (lst)=>{_{0}}&lst)),
    result = Table.FromRows(List.Combine(trans), {"Row", "SKU", "QTY"})
in
    result
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. Check the column "Row" and unpivot other columns
  2. Check the resulting "Attribute"-column and extract the first 3 characters from it
  3. Pivot that new column with "Values" in the values-section

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ImkeF 

I managed to make it work! I was extracting just the first 3 letters of the column instead of splitting it!

Thank you so much! This will save me a ton of time!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there!

@ImkeFthis looks like a great and easy way to approach this problem but I might be doing something wrong, could you please advice?

Until this step it seems like the data is ready for being pivoted but it shows the following error:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Murillmi_0-1613839191179.png

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors