Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iss05e

Split two dates into weeks and return the date of the Monday Start of Week

Hello,

I am quite a novice at BI and so hope there may be some shared expertise on this forum to help me.

I need to take two dates, expand them into weeks and also return the Monday start of week for each row.

So for example, if I have the following:

Placement Start DatePlacement End Date
10 June 201928 June 2019

I need to get to this (note: Monday date is in UK format):

Placement Start DatePlacement End DateMonday Start of Week
10 June 201928 June 201910/06/2019
10 June 201928 June 201917/06/2019
10 June 201928 June 201924/06/2019

I have actually managed to achieve this as follows (albeit probably a long-winded way of doing it):

1) Transform data -> Add Column -> Custom Column -> New column ->  Add formula:

{ Number.From(Date.WeekOfYear([Placement Start Date],Day.Sunday))..Number.From(Date.WeekOfYear([Placement End Date],Day.Sunday)) }

2) Expand to new rows
3) Rename the column to Week Number

4) Add column Monday Start of Week

5) Add formula:

Monday Start of Week = DATE(YEAR([Placement Start Date]),1,-2)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR([Placement Start Date]),1,3))+[Week Number]*7

This works until the dates span multiple years. amd fails on step (2) as BI is trying to span rows from say, week number 50..3 - and so returns null.

Is there a way I return the Monday start of week for each week, regardless how many years the range spans?  Any help much appreciated!

Regards,

Paul

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
iss05e

Jimmy,

Yes, that does produce the results I'm after! 😀

However, I currently have the existing code in my advanced editor as I've cast some of the date formats from the csv file which is the source:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Stuff\BI_test\gemma.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=10, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Placement Start Date", type text}, {"Placement End Date", type text}, {"Student Code", Int64.Type}, {"Surname", type text}, {"Given Name", type text}, {"Agency Code", type text}, {"Cohort Code  (Student RefId 77)", type text}, {"Agency Name", type text}, {"Agency Type", type text}, {"Group Name", type text}}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Placement Start Date", type date}}, "en-US"),
    #"Changed Type with Locale1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type with Locale", {{"Placement End Date", type date}}, "en-US")
in
    #"Changed Type with Locale1"

As the Query Editor is new to me, where would I "knit" the code in that you have suggested?  Apologies if this is a really newbie question .....

Regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello

try this code

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Stuff\BI_test\gemma.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=10, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Placement Start Date", type text}, {"Placement End Date", type text}, {"Student Code", Int64.Type}, {"Surname", type text}, {"Given Name", type text}, {"Agency Code", type text}, {"Cohort Code  (Student RefId 77)", type text}, {"Agency Name", type text}, {"Agency Type", type text}, {"Group Name", type text}}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Placement Start Date", type date}}, "en-US"),
    #"Changed Type with Locale1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type with Locale", {{"Placement End Date", type date}}, "en-US"),
    TransformTable = Table.TransformRows
    (
        #"Changed Type with Locale1",
        (row)=>
        let 
            HowMuchDuplicatesNeeded = Number.RoundDown(Duration.TotalDays(row[Placement End Date]-row[Placement Start Date])/7),
            CreateMultipleRows = List.Transform(List.Numbers(0,HowMuchDuplicatesNeeded+1), (weeks)=> Record.AddField(row, "Monday Start of Week", Date.AddDays(row[Placement Start Date], weeks * 7)))
        in 
            CreateMultipleRows

),
    CreateFinalTable = Table.FromRecords(List.Combine(TransformTable), null,null)
in
    CreateFinalTable

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Thank you all who responded to my plea!  I now have this working.

You guys are brilliant! 😁

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.  It's very much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @iss05e, try this:

// output
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRQ8CrNS1UwMjC0VNJRMrJA4sbGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Placement Start Date" = _t, #"Placement End Date" = _t]),
    fnGen = (st, en)=>
            let fx= each Date.ToText(_, "dd MMM yyyy","en") 
            in List.RemoveNulls(
                   List.Generate(
                       ()=>st, 
                       each _<en, 
                       each Date.AddDays(_, 1), 
                       each if Date.DayOfWeek(_)=0 then List.Transform({st, en, _}, fx) else null
                   )
               ),
    gen = Table.ToList(Source, each let st=Date.From(_{0}, "en"), en=Date.From(_{1}, "en") in fnGen(st, en)){0},
    result = Table.FromRows(gen, Table.ColumnNames(Source)&{"Monday Start of Week"})
in
    result

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

@iss05e  here is the code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRQ8CrNS1UwMjC0VNJRMrJA4sbGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Placement Start Date" = _t, #"Placement End Date" = _t]),
    Custom1 = let fx=(x)=>Number.From(Date.From(x)) in Table.FromValue({fx(Source[Placement Start Date]{0})..fx(Source[Placement End Date]{0})}),
    Custom2 = Table.Group(Custom1,"Value",{"n",each Source{0}&[Monday Start of Week=Date.ToText(Date.From(List.Min([Value])),"dd MMM yyyy","en")]},0,(x,y)=>Byte.From(Date.DayOfWeek(Date.From(y))=0)),
    Custom3 = Table.FromRecords(Custom2[n])
in
    Custom3
iss05e

Jimmy,

If it's any help, my source csv looks as follows:

Placement Start Date,Placement End Date,Student Code,Surname,Given Name,Agency Code,Cohort Code  (Student RefId 77),Agency Name,Agency Type,Group Name
"9/30/2019","12/6/2019","500000000","Test","Student","CH0027","19WX1","Location 1","Community Hospital"
"6/10/2019","6/28/2019","500000000","Test","Student","MTH0051","19WX1","Location 2","Community Hospital"
"12/30/2019","3/13/2020","500000000","Test","Student","MTH0051","19WX1","Location 2","Community Hospital"
"9/7/2020","11/27/2020","500000000","Test","Student","MTH0124","19WX1","Location 3","Community Hospital"
"12/28/2020","3/19/2021","500000000","Test","Student","MTH0090","19WX1","Location 4","Community Hospital"
iss05e

Jimmy,

Yes, that does produce the results I'm after! 😀

However, I currently have the existing code in my advanced editor as I've cast some of the date formats from the csv file which is the source:

let
    #"Changed Type with Locale1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type with Locale", {{"Placement End Date", type date}}, "en-US")
in
    #"Changed Type with Locale1"

As the Query Editor is new to me, where would I "knit" the code in that you have suggested?  Apologies if this is a really newbie question .....

Regards,

Paul

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello

try this code

let
    #"Changed Type with Locale1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type with Locale", {{"Placement End Date", type date}}, "en-US"),
    (
        #"Changed Type with Locale1",
        (row)=>
        let 
            HowMuchDuplicatesNeeded = Number.RoundDown(Duration.TotalDays(row[Placement End Date]-row[Placement Start Date])/7),
            CreateMultipleRows = List.Transform(List.Numbers(0,HowMuchDuplicatesNeeded+1), (weeks)=> Record.AddField(row, "Monday Start of Week", Date.AddDays(row[Placement Start Date], weeks * 7)))
        in 
            CreateMultipleRows

),
in
    CreateFinalTable

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Thank you all who responded to my plea!  I now have this working.

You guys are brilliant! 😁

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.  It's very much appreciated.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @iss05e 

you can use Table.TransformRows instead. This logic here is calculating the difference between end and start and / 7. A new column is added (Record.AddField) to make the calculation. However its taking the start date and adds 0, 1, 2 etc. weeks. I don't know if you have scenarios where the start date is not a monday, but the new column should be a monday.  If yes, could you make an example how this should look like

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Placement Start Date", type date}, {"Placement End Date", type date}}),
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        (row)=>
        let 
        in 
            CreateMultipleRows

),
in
    CreateFinalTable

Jimmy801_0-1605182299090.png

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors