Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

k1s1
Helper I
Helper I

Split delimited data into n columns keeping any more than n in last column

Hello I've got data in a column delimited (with "| ") that I want to split into 6 columns: the last one containing the 6th plus any more data items, retaining a delimiter.

So in the example below, the second last row contains 8 items to be split over 6 columns with the last 3 all in one column 

Test
Routine blood tests| MRI - Head
Routine blood tests| Tumour markers| CT - Colon
Routine blood tests| X-ray other
CT - Chest Abdomen Pelvis| Routine blood tests| PET scan
Routine blood tests| CT - Chest Abdomen Pelvis| CT - Colon| Endoscopy| ECG| MRI - Pancreas| X-ray other| Other - See Comments
X-ray other

If I use something like:

#"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Test", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("| ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Test.1", "Test.2", "Test.3", "Test.4", "Test.5", "Other Tests"}),

...it produces this:

Test.1Test.2Test.3Test.4Test.5Other Tests
Routine blood testsMRI - Headnullnullnullnull
Routine blood testsTumour markersCT - Colonnullnullnull
Routine blood testsX-ray othernullnullnullnull
CT - Chest Abdomen PelvisRoutine blood testsPET scannullnullnull
Routine blood testsCT - Chest Abdomen PelvisCT - ColonEndoscopyECGMRI - Pancreas
X-ray othernullnullnullnullnull

Which seems to truncate/ignore/delete the last 2 items of the second last row,

Any ideas for how I can make it produce this instead?:

Test.1Test.2Test.3Test.4Test.5Other Tests
Routine blood testsCT - Chest Abdomen PelvisCT - ColonEndoscopyECGMRI - Pancreas| X-ray other| Other - See Comments
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I divided the text into two parts: the one before the fifth "|" (in M the positions start from the 0-th) nd the part following the fifth "|",  obtaining two columns Following your requests, I applied the splitting only to the first part contained in the first column of these two.

dai un'occhiata qui 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
k1s1
Helper I
Helper I

Hello - many thanks for your reply and solution.  I'm trying to work out how you did it.

Would you mind exlaining this please:

let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Colonna1 = _t]),
    #"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata" = Table.AddColumn(Origine, "beforesix", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Colonna1],"|",4)),
    #"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata", "AfterSix.1", each Text.AfterDelimiter([Colonna1],"|",4)),
Anonymous
Not applicable

I divided the text into two parts: the one before the fifth "|" (in M the positions start from the 0-th) nd the part following the fifth "|",  obtaining two columns Following your requests, I applied the splitting only to the first part contained in the first column of these two.

dai un'occhiata qui 

Ah, thank you

I tried to replicate it with some English to help me!

let
    Origine = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fY/BCsIwDIZfJezsHkLKUA9imTsIY4euDWzYNtJ2wmAPb5yIDNxOSfj/L/lT11lJQ+o9QmuJDCSMKU5wLk+QwxGVyZrdiqcaHA0BnAp3DDyLihFBlvw6c8uDGoFSh2E2fZiORdi3hhx6kGifPVv/8rKoIGq1cWFj4y/gBIU3FDU9Rm7F4fuwVF4HVMugE1zeheUrIvOOd6Y4J1i807wA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Colonna1 = _t]),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Origine,{{"Colonna1", "Tests"}}),
    #"Copy first five to new column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Test", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Tests],"|",4)),
    #"Copy remainder to new column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Copy first five to new column", "Other Tests", each Text.AfterDelimiter([Tests],"|",4)),
    #"Split first five by delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Copy remainder to new column", "Test", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("|", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Test.1", "Test.2", "Test.3", "Test.4", "Test.5"})
in
    #"Split first five by delimiter"

Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    Origine = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fY/BCsIwDIZfJezsHkLKUA9imTsIY4euDWzYNtJ2wmAPb5yIDNxOSfj/L/lT11lJQ+o9QmuJDCSMKU5wLk+QwxGVyZrdiqcaHA0BnAp3DDyLihFBlvw6c8uDGoFSh2E2fZiORdi3hhx6kGifPVv/8rKoIGq1cWFj4y/gBIU3FDU9Rm7F4fuwVF4HVMugE1zeheUrIvOOd6Y4J1i807wA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Colonna1 = _t]),
    #"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata" = Table.AddColumn(Origine, "beforesix", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Colonna1],"|",4)),
    #"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata", "AfterSix.1", each Text.AfterDelimiter([Colonna1],"|",4)),
    #"Suddividi colonna in base al delimitatore" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Aggiunta colonna personalizzata1", "beforesix", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("|", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"beforesix.1", "beforesix.2", "beforesix.3", "beforesix.4", "beforesix.5"}),
    #"Modificato tipo" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Suddividi colonna in base al delimitatore",{{"Colonna1", type text}, {"beforesix.1", type text}, {"beforesix.2", type text}, {"beforesix.3", type text}, {"beforesix.4", type text}, {"beforesix.5", type text}})
in
    #"Modificato tipo"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors