Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RhysWhite
Frequent Visitor

Split by Delimiter - with Multiple Conditions

I hope somebody can help me quickly,

I have eMail data coming into Excel via Power Automate and I need to extract a reference number from either the Subject Or Body of the eMail.

Most of the references are preceded by certain words such as Reference or Number.

The solution I have come up with is to use Split Column By Delimiter - how do I search for multiple delimiters if the last one wasn't present?

E.g If I split by Number and it finds Number it splits, if it doesn't find number it moves onto the next one which maybe Reference.

Is this correct?  This is the base 
= Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Subject", type text}}, "en-GB"), "Subject", Splitter.SplitTextByAnyDelimiter({"Number"}, QuoteStyle.Csv, true), {"Subject.1", "Subject.2"})

If I modify it like this with multiple conditions it still seems to miss some.
= Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Subject", type text}}, "en-GB"), "Subject", Splitter.SplitTextByAnyDelimiter({"Number", "Reference", "no."}, QuoteStyle.Csv, true), {"Subject.1", "Subject.2"})

I am unable to share any data / due to security 
Originally posted in the wrong group.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @RhysWhite ,

This is because your code is missing "each".

If you are changing code in the advanced editor, please add "each" before the original code. 

vkkfmsft_0-1652172014042.png

And the complete code is as follows:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("1ZJPTwIxEMW/ygtX+dPt7tJlTwrGBEMIQQ8oy6HArLuRtth2MXx7F6JR9KLeuHTSyZu8mV/efN7gjPMWi1ssumciZd2UiwvGUsYazQYpWW4uj297ZVTd6ZulQ7/UDneV3dEeA7MmBEGAFqaUkyW9IowrtSQL0YtwO0sSxGFYzz6YCmujs4oxLjxM7knjiTyOBsitUfjm2MaIpNV4LfbwRelQukyXamusl9pjXni/dWmnI59lW7nOUXy1NJW/I70mO1yT9mVerqQvjV5kOtOTDUlHWEmNIQq5I0hMrm+wI+tqTb1VbUTIjVUH+VgqOtSBUVup9/j4TwqjCUz0IOKQI47jqLFo/qAp0oid0myf4Dw4v4O09FKR82fK6XjEIQeZ/oxBwEOMpjzg4CL4Hc1uHIWIu6L7H5pfAmhSJAmfPbIwSXpnyvRPtBZv", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, #"From eMail" = _t, Subject = _t, Body = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type datetime}, {"From eMail", type text}, {"Subject", type text}, {"Body", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Split Subject", each if Text.Contains([Subject], "Number") then Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("Number", QuoteStyle.Csv)([Subject]) else Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("Reference", QuoteStyle.Csv)([Subject])),
    #"Expanded Split Subject" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Split Subject")
in
    #"Expanded Split Subject"

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RhysWhite
Frequent Visitor

@Greg_Deckler thanks, original post updated with example data - outcome would be a new colum with just the reference number in it.  Reference numbers follow no set format.

Hi @RhysWhite ,

Please add the custom column in PQ, then expand the list to new rows.

Split Subject =
if Text.Contains([Subject], "Number") then Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("Number", QuoteStyle.Csv)([Subject]) else Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("Reference", QuoteStyle.Csv)([Subject])

vkkfmsft_0-1652074012794.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, I get the following error - 

Expression.Error: There is an unknown identifier. Did you use the [field] shorthand for a _[field] outside of an 'each' expression?

Hi @RhysWhite ,

This is because your code is missing "each".

If you are changing code in the advanced editor, please add "each" before the original code. 

vkkfmsft_0-1652172014042.png

And the complete code is as follows:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("1ZJPTwIxEMW/ygtX+dPt7tJlTwrGBEMIQQ8oy6HArLuRtth2MXx7F6JR9KLeuHTSyZu8mV/efN7gjPMWi1ssumciZd2UiwvGUsYazQYpWW4uj297ZVTd6ZulQ7/UDneV3dEeA7MmBEGAFqaUkyW9IowrtSQL0YtwO0sSxGFYzz6YCmujs4oxLjxM7knjiTyOBsitUfjm2MaIpNV4LfbwRelQukyXamusl9pjXni/dWmnI59lW7nOUXy1NJW/I70mO1yT9mVerqQvjV5kOtOTDUlHWEmNIQq5I0hMrm+wI+tqTb1VbUTIjVUH+VgqOtSBUVup9/j4TwqjCUz0IOKQI47jqLFo/qAp0oid0myf4Dw4v4O09FKR82fK6XjEIQeZ/oxBwEOMpjzg4CL4Hc1uHIWIu6L7H5pfAmhSJAmfPbIwSXpnyvRPtBZv", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, #"From eMail" = _t, Subject = _t, Body = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type datetime}, {"From eMail", type text}, {"Subject", type text}, {"Body", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Split Subject", each if Text.Contains([Subject], "Number") then Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("Number", QuoteStyle.Csv)([Subject]) else Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("Reference", QuoteStyle.Csv)([Subject])),
    #"Expanded Split Subject" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Split Subject")
in
    #"Expanded Split Subject"

Best Regards,
Winniz

RhysWhite
Frequent Visitor

OK - Some More Info

eMails are ripped from Outlook to Excel using Power Automate, e mails fall into a table - a faked example of which can be seen below.  This query is currently called tbl_Unprocessed

There is another table of 120K references which could posisbly be in the subject line or body.  Originally I started by looking for ways to search the subject / body of each e mail for any of these references held in imp_Data - but that doesn't seem possible.

So began looking for patterns in the data and found most of the references are preceded by words such as Reference or Number.

Came up with the idea of spliting the table at these words but need it to operate on multiple words sequentially not at once.

Any ideas?

The table is emails ripped from outlook using power automate - the body is text only.

DateFrom eMailSubjectBody
2022-05-04T07:06:27+00:00email@email.comBobs Bins Survey Code 111 - Reference Number 794 JX88 533

You don't often get email from email@email.com. Learn why this is
important [https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification]

Please can I have a PDF version of the form

Name

Company Name

Phone 079 7532 5554

2022-05-04T07:07:40+00:00email.@email.comPDF Survey request 

Surve 111
Reference 123 LR212 271

Name

Company Name

Phone 079 6543 5676

2022-05-04T07:07:40+00:00email.@email.comReference No: 882XZ03889

Name

Company Name

Phone 079 6543 5676

hi @RhysWhite ,

Basically, you need to extract the Reference No?

I have a solution. It is not the best solution, but hope this might help you.

mussaenda_0-1652177643742.png

I also attached a sample pbix for you to test.

Hope this helps.

hi @RhysWhite ,

Basically, you need to extract the Reference No?

I have a solution. It is not the best solution, but hope this might help you.

mussaenda_0-1652177643742.png

I also attached a sample pbix for you to test.

Hope this helps.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@RhysWhite Just share mocked-up data the replicates the problem. Sorry, having trouble following, can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors