Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Covington
Helper I
Helper I

Split all columns with .1 into rows and columns with .2 into rows

I'm sure I can query the table twice and then merge somehow in code, but not sure that is the right way to do this.

My table is like this:

Team.1.1Team.1.2Team.2.1Team 2.2Val.1Val.2
501UTA502BRK-4200

I want the following:

TeamNumberTeamNameValue
501UTA-4
502BRK200

All of the .1 and .2 are from splits (of course) on each column.  Again, I'm sure I can query out each set of columns from the table (2 queries) and then merge with proper headers, but not sure that is the correct solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Covington 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

a1.png

You may apply the following transformations to get the final result. Here are the m codes in 'Advanced Editor'.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjUwVNJRCg1xBJKmBkZA0inIG0jqmgAJIwMDpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Team.1.1 = _t, Team.1.2 = _t, Team.2.1 = _t, #"Team 2.2" = _t, Val.1 = _t, Val.2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Team.1.1", Int64.Type}, {"Team.1.2", type text}, {"Team.2.1", Int64.Type}, {"Team 2.2", type text}, {"Val.1", Int64.Type}, {"Val.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Team.1.1", type text}, {"Val.1", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Team.1.1", "Team.1.2", "Val.1"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Team1"),
    #"Merged Columns1" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns", {{"Team.2.1", type text}, {"Val.2", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Team.2.1", "Team 2.2", "Val.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Team2"),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Merged Columns1", {}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Value", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"TeamNumber", "TeamName", "Value"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"TeamNumber", Int64.Type}, {"TeamName", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Result:

a2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Covington 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

a1.png

You may apply the following transformations to get the final result. Here are the m codes in 'Advanced Editor'.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjUwVNJRCg1xBJKmBkZA0inIG0jqmgAJIwMDpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Team.1.1 = _t, Team.1.2 = _t, Team.2.1 = _t, #"Team 2.2" = _t, Val.1 = _t, Val.2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Team.1.1", Int64.Type}, {"Team.1.2", type text}, {"Team.2.1", Int64.Type}, {"Team 2.2", type text}, {"Val.1", Int64.Type}, {"Val.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Team.1.1", type text}, {"Val.1", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Team.1.1", "Team.1.2", "Val.1"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Team1"),
    #"Merged Columns1" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns", {{"Team.2.1", type text}, {"Val.2", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Team.2.1", "Team 2.2", "Val.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Team2"),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Merged Columns1", {}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Value", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"TeamNumber", "TeamName", "Value"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"TeamNumber", Int64.Type}, {"TeamName", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Result:

a2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Covington ,

this is a solution that would cover additional teams and scenarios as well:

let
    toLists = Table.ToColumns(#"Changed Type"),
    NumberOfTeams = List.Count(toLists) / 3,
    TeamsColumns = List.Range(toLists, 0, NumberOfTeams * 2),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(TeamsColumns, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Calculated Modulo" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.Mod(_, 2), type number}}),
    TeamNumbers = Table.SelectRows(#"Calculated Modulo", each ([Index] = 0))[Column1],
    TeamNames = Table.SelectRows(#"Calculated Modulo", each ([Index] = 1))[Column1],
    TeamValues = List.Difference(toLists, TeamsColumns),
    Custom1 = Table.FromColumns({List.Union(TeamNumbers), List.Union(TeamNames), List.Union(TeamValues)})
in
    Custom1

paste the code into the advanced editor and follow the steps.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Can you give us a sample of the ORIGINAL data, before you split it? And in doing splits, is there a way to split into ROWS instead of COLUMNS?

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors