Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

neeharikathota
Frequent Visitor

Sorting months in Power BI using sort table

Hi All , 

Iam facing a issue while trying to sort my date column in calender sequence . My actual date column is in the format MMMYY Dec19,Jan20,Feb20 etc., user wants to see aggregated SWAP values on MMMYY basis .

When I place it in matrix form the  columns are aligning in 'alphabetical order' . Expected format is calendar order .

I tried to create a sort table and tried to relate to main dataset and create a sequence . But when I enter data in Power query in 'Enter data' for the table. 

For the 'month date' column below though I try to enter it as date in MMMYY format .ex(Dec19,Jan20) the dates are auto-converting in the below format . So , my 'Dec19' datavalue is changing to '9/19/2020' which is not right . 

Attached sample reult below while I enter data : 

neeharikathota_0-1598522031829.png

Request to let me know the approch i need to follow in this case . 

Thanks in advance . 

@PowerQuestion @PowerQueryFTW @ttcalendar @BIHelp 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@neeharikathota 

Go to Power Query, Select the column that has dates like "DEC19", RIGHT-CLICK > Change Type > select Date. Now you can do the formatting in the data model as MMMYY.

Let me know if need further help on this.

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

@neeharikathota try this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcklNNrRUitWJVvJKzDMyALPcUpNArFgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [MonthYear = _t]),
    #"Convert To Date" = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"MonthYear", each Date.FromText(Text.Start(_,3) & "1, 20" & Text.End(_,2)), type date}})
in
    #"Convert To Date"

It takes the Dec19 and converts it to the string "Dec 1, 2019"  then converts to a date. Jan20 becomes "Jan 1, 2020" and again, a date.

You can wrap a Date.EndOfMonth() around that if you want it to be Dec 31, 2019 after conversion, or replace the "1, 20" part of the formula with, say, "15, 20" to convert to Dec 15, 2019 before it converts.

edhans_0-1598542798463.png

becomes

edhans_1-1598542812061.png

Note the code also automatically converts it to a date column.

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

try this

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSk/NU9JRMjRUitWJVkosKAJyjIzAnJTMZCDH2BjMSUtNAnJMkFSZgtnpmaVAthmYnVOaDmSbg9n5JSVAtoVSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [idx = _t, val = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"idx", type text}, {"val", Int64.Type}}),
    ttr=Table.ToRecords(#"Changed Type"),
    mesi=Record.FromList({1..12},List.Transform({1..12}, each Text.Start(Date.MonthName(#date(2020,_,1)),3)))

in
  Table.FromRecords(List.Sort(ttr, (x,y)=>Value.Compare(Record.Field(mesi,x[idx]),Record.Field(mesi,y[idx]))))
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@neeharikathota 

Go to Power Query, Select the column that has dates like "DEC19", RIGHT-CLICK > Change Type > select Date. Now you can do the formatting in the data model as MMMYY.

Let me know if need further help on this.

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors