Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hashiru
Helper I
Helper I

Slow Running Total and Total from a Table Column

Hi all below is are code snippet of two queries

FnGroupedRunningTotal - Function

(MyTable)=>
let

#"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(MyTable, "Index.1", 1, 1),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index1", "FedRunningBal", each List.Sum(List.Range(#"Added Index1"[#"Federal Reimb."],0,[Index.1]))),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "FedBalance", each List.Sum(#"Added Custom"[#"Federal Reimb."])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index.1"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"FedRunningBal", type number}})
    //#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "FedBalance", each List.Sum(#"Added Custom"[#"FedRunningBal"]))
in
    #"Added Custom1"

Main Query from which function is invoked

#"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(#"Expanded BillingRules", {"ProjectActivityFundALI"}, {{"RunningT", each _, type table}}),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows1", "Totals", each FnGroupedRunningTotal([RunningT])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Invoked Custom Function",{"RunningT"}),

Introducting this function to calculate the total and running totals for each group incredibly slow down the running time of the query. I have to invoke this function again to calculate the running total and totals for another set of data to be mashed up with the main data.

How do i optimize my solutions?

2 REPLIES 2
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hashiru , 

You could try to use Table.buffer which might will optimize the performance to see whether it work or not. You could refer to Running Total in Power Query  and Memory efficient clustered running total in Power BI  for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks to the dax community team, I tried the Mike Gavin solution and plug off the function I used before and change the invocation as follows:

#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(LaborCostsBillingRulesKey, "Index", 1, 1),
BufferedTable = Table.Buffer(#"Added Index"),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(BufferedTable, "RT", (OT) => List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(BufferedTable,(IT) => IT[FundScopeALIProjActivity]=OT[FundScopeALIProjActivity])[#"Federal Reimb."]))

The queries run in about 20 minutes but the load to either the worksheet or the data model is still a problem. After all the manipulation I need to have the output in csv file. This mean that I need to load the data into excel eventually.

How do I improve on the load time as It takes 12 hours plus to do the load of 120,000 rows? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors