Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amirghaderi
Helper IV
Helper IV

Slow Loading record field to Power Bi

Hi,

I have a Power Bi file which reads the data from a sharepoint list. The sharepoint list has fields as people picker which basically is a record field storing name/address/email/phone/..... 

Uplaoding these records takes  huge amount of time and I am sure the upload process will crash soon. I am trying to find a way that when the data get read from sharepoint list for those fileds, it only loads the name to Power Bi rather than everything.

I have only been able to load the full data and then after full load remove the unnecessary data. But, I think there should be a way that at navigation stage to force the query to only load speific data of record field.

Not sure, if anybody has got the souloution or has experienced this issue.

This is the command which makings the refresh very slow: this basicaly takes the Title section of Record and bring as as column. without this command it is quick.

#"Expanded CTRSubmissionRequester1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Removed Columns", "CTRSubmissionRequester", {"Title"}, {"CTRSubmissionRequester.Title"})

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this video for a different way to bring in SharePoint List data, but much faster.

Get SharePoint List Data with Power BI ... Fast - YouTube

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this video for a different way to bring in SharePoint List data, but much faster.

Get SharePoint List Data with Power BI ... Fast - YouTube

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks, The vidoe is really helpfull. It recommends to use version2 list connection which looks to be much faster. One issue which does not explain in the video is that, when I extract data with V2, the name column will change to type "list" rather than being the record. Then PBI does not allow to expnad the "list" column to extract title.

V1 the existing slow extract:

amirghaderi_0-1622188589011.png

V2 

amirghaderi_1-1622188679752.png

How can I expand this column?

Not sure how. But, now I can see the expand function.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors