Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bunceg

Slice dashboard by tenant

Hi,

This question may be a fundamental misunderstanding on my part about the target audience for Power BI, but is it possible to have a single dashboard, published to the web, that shows different data by tenant.

i.e. we have an existing website where users login (using our own OAuth2 service based on ThinkTecture) and are then limited to their own data set. The database could be sharded, but at the moment it isn't. However, even if it was, we could have multiple tenants in the same shard anyway.

What I need is a system where I can quickly create charts and pull in content from different sources and push them to the web for access from within our site, but the data is specific to the current logged in user.

As we use Azure, and Azure SQL, Power BI seemed perfect, but it looks like it targets internal business customers only (and authentication via AD only), not our kind of requirements.

Is what I need possible with Power BI?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@bunceg you should probably create a Content Pack and work with Microsoft on having that deployed with the service.  (I am not talking about Organizational Content packs, you should create one similar to Google Analytics and Quickbooks)

Urg... I really can't see that happening? Asking Microsoft to do some work for us?

I will look into content packs but from the sound of it, this looks like a "can't be done, this isn't the user scenario we set Power BI up to do"...

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@bunceg Unfortunately, I don't know the official channel to get in touch with the MS Prod team regarding creating a custom content pack.  You should contact your local Microsoft account team and request that they get you in touch with the right folks.  Or you can try to PM some of the MS folks who post here.  My understanding is that MS thinks of content pack as a very important part of Power BI so I would guess that you should have some good luck getting this going.

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Yes, it sounds like we're on the same page, though our use case is even easier.  A set of "custom" reports for each user---they log in and go to their custom dashboard/report only.. and importantly these users are clients of ours--not internal to our company.

They see their dashboards or reports only, no easy click access to data model--except thru the visualizations.  

Does that sound impossible?

This is quite interesting question. I am also curious about ways how to achieve described. As it does not make sense to create same dashboard for every single user.

Can anybody share his experience?

What in the case three managers want to take a look into one dashboard, but to be able see only theirs data?

What in the case if the datasource is MS SQL Server, on the other hand what in the case data come from excel? Is it possible to use some parametrization, code web service, where to get information who is logged in?

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@bunceg You can use SSAS tabular modeling and create roles for restricting access to data for different users and later pull data in Power BI to create reports/dashboards. Also same can be scheduled for refresh. Hope this helps!

We don't have SSAS installed I'm afraid.

We have kept our architecure to a bare minimum of the default SAAS services Microsoft provide, i.e. we use SQL Azure not a VM with SQL Server, Web Apps and Cloud Services instead of VMs etc.

We really don't want to install a SQL server instance on a VM to support this - in effect our requirements are simple:

• The same dashboard for every user, therefore
  • The same queries for every user
  • The content to be sliced based on their tenant (and therefore based on some claim such as customer id, from their credentals)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors