Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

moni_dd
Regular Visitor

Single Sign On (SSO) to third party data sources (like SalesForce)

Please feel free to redirect to a different forum if this location is not OK.

Also - if this has been discussed already - please let me know. So far I did not find SSO topics related to 3rd party data.

Question is:

Is there a way to make a PowerBI report utilize SSO with a 3rd Party (data is outside the servers, domains, or Azure cloud-setup of our organization).

I know SalesForce offers SSO delegated approach based on Delegated Identity OpenID.

So can we install such a solution in our PowerBI cloud/gateway configuration?

If "not" - any plans to offer this in the future? It is really a critical option to have in an enterprise solution.

About what I found on the forum so far.

Two work-arounds were suggested in a separate thread I posted:

1. Use Row Level Security (RLS)

2. Develop the report using your own credentials. Save as template (*.PBIT). Give the template to users and they will be asked to re-authenticate when they create a report from this template.

2nd solution did not work out. At no point was the user asked for a password.

One way or the other - either solution is not workable in a prod environment, so my question on SSO.

Using RLS would mean to transfer the entire complexity of already established SalesForce rules into PowerBI.

Yes, doable, but a huge undertaking and once done will require work to keep rights in sync.

Using a template is not practical even if it worked. I cannot possibly go to my CEO and ask him to go over the motions, nor can I schedule an appointment to do the deployment myself from his PC. Even if I could, it is not just the CEO who needs the access but a whole department as well. And I have to do this every time there is a change in the report or when a users gets modified SF rights.

If I am missing something about the template solution - please let me know.

Many thanks for helping with this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @moni_dd,

I got the information that Power BI doesn't support SSO for data source now. And currently this is not listed on backlog.

For your requirement, you can vote this same idea: Add support for ADFS Smart Links.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @moni_dd,

I got the information that Power BI doesn't support SSO for data source now. And currently this is not listed on backlog.

For your requirement, you can vote this same idea: Add support for ADFS Smart Links.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is there any update about this topic? I am trying to connect to salesforce to my custom domin (with SSO using ADFS).

Please let me know your feedback.

Regards,

OC

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @moni_dd,

I have sent a email to consult this issue internally. Once I get information, will let you know.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors