Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Simple US Census Data Feed?

Hello all,

This probably falls into the "is it really this hard?" category, but I was hoping to find a simple way to get Population and Income data by zip code (a Zip Code Tabulation Area).  The most recent Census or whatever the right term is would be great. 

There are certainly more metrics I'd like to explore, but if I could just get one or two metrics...with luck I could keep augmenting my query to include other available stats.

If this is being too lazy for your taste, would you point me to a good resource to get at this...the US Census Data site is massive and seemingly for "pros" in this space.  I hope I don't need to be an expert before I get my first extract.

Thank you all in advance!

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello all and @v-lid-msft 

I did piece together a simple query using a json example from the census data api.  Here it is if anyone is looking to jumpstart their census exploration process.  It's easy to get an API key...just "apply" here: https://api.census.gov/data/key_signup.html As you look thru the api offerings, you'll see descriptions, variables, geographies (who knew this could be so confusing), groups, examples (sample api URL's)...which I've put in the Json.Document Function below in the simple PowerBI query..  There are keywords and parameters but this gets anyone going.

I've lined out the key in the example below

CensusExample.png

The table that this produces is shown, in part, here.  So that gets stuff into PowerBI

CensusExampleTable.png

Ok, enjoy,

Tom

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
edhans
Super User
Super User

You are probably going to have to start here - https://data.census.gov/cedsci/ -  and become a bit of an expert. Some of the data is available via API, and some is exportable to Excel/CSV after a query. Not sure how much will be available via a simple web request.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ThomasDay ,

Sorry for late reply, we cannot understand your requirement clearly, are you missing some fields when using Web Connector to get some data from a feed url?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lid-msft ,

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

I guess I was asking for something even more basic.  I'm looking for an example Power Query which access a census data set and pulls it into a data file.  I'm just stuck on JSON (unfamiliar), and Census (complex) and I am having a hard time getting started.  If I can get a toe in the door...I can start working my way into the data.

Thanks for checking in and any ideas would be appreciated.

Tom

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello all and @v-lid-msft 

I did piece together a simple query using a json example from the census data api.  Here it is if anyone is looking to jumpstart their census exploration process.  It's easy to get an API key...just "apply" here: https://api.census.gov/data/key_signup.html As you look thru the api offerings, you'll see descriptions, variables, geographies (who knew this could be so confusing), groups, examples (sample api URL's)...which I've put in the Json.Document Function below in the simple PowerBI query..  There are keywords and parameters but this gets anyone going.

I've lined out the key in the example below

CensusExample.png

The table that this produces is shown, in part, here.  So that gets stuff into PowerBI

CensusExampleTable.png

Ok, enjoy,

Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors