Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Should I I use TABLE.BUFFER?

I like to have single column lists and queries that are referenced from my fact table then I inner join/list.contains them to my dim tables as it helps the user experience with filtering.

My question is for lists I use list.buffer to improve performance and then use list.contains in my dim tables. But wanted to know if I should use table.buffer on single column tables/queries so when I do a inner join in my dim table it also improves performance like my list.buffer/list.contains does?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

List.Buffer or Table.Buffer are useful when you use them multiple times in your query. If you are using them only once, then there is no advantage in buffering them. Buffering consumes finite amount of memory and time. Many times, it may degrade the performance, hence don't use them if you are not using them multiple times. You will have to experiment in your query whether buffering is working for you or not. Take a note that Table.Buffer breaks Query folding which is its biggest disadvantage. Hence, if you are taking advantage of Query Folding, then you must not use Table.Buffer. The trade-off of using query folding vs.a.vs. Table.Buffer is far better (true is most situations but some exceptions might be there)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

List.Buffer or Table.Buffer are useful when you use them multiple times in your query. If you are using them only once, then there is no advantage in buffering them. Buffering consumes finite amount of memory and time. Many times, it may degrade the performance, hence don't use them if you are not using them multiple times. You will have to experiment in your query whether buffering is working for you or not. Take a note that Table.Buffer breaks Query folding which is its biggest disadvantage. Hence, if you are taking advantage of Query Folding, then you must not use Table.Buffer. The trade-off of using query folding vs.a.vs. Table.Buffer is far better (true is most situations but some exceptions might be there)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors